For Sale: 1962 Pontiac Tempest convertible -$8,800 - Blackstone, VA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1962 Pontiac Tempest convertible -$8,800 - Blackstone, VA

1962 Tempest - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Older restoration paint showing some imperfections Motor and Transmission Strong. Convertible top works perfectly but top has slight tear could be repaired. Frame and body solid, car was from California. Trophy 4-cylinder 195 cu in motor. All new brakes front and rear. I believe motor and transmission were rebuilt. Clear title. Will not respond to "is it available" you will be blocked. Call if interested
Copy and paste in your email: b8ff22ee4a7a3d7d84fcd72e9a83bf57@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1962 Pontiac Tempest convertible.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states 5,076 1962 Pontiac Tempest convertibles built, with another 15,599 Tempest Custom (Lemans trim option) convertibles built.

'62 pontiac tempest conv VA a.jpg

'62 pontiac tempest conv VA b.jpg

'62 pontiac tempest conv VA c.jpg

'62 pontiac tempest conv VA d.jpg

'62 pontiac tempest conv VA e.jpg

'62 pontiac tempest conv VA f.jpg

• Like 3

GM used to really give the engineers some latitude! Rope drive to a transaxle! Half a V8! Turbocharged air cooled flat 6's. 

Not only is no body "out side the box" anymore, the box has gotten a lot smaller. No wonder we like the old stuff! 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

How reliable is the drive train with that flexible driveshaft? 

My understanding it was over engineered. We towed a car trailer with a ‘61 manual carrying a ‘61 auto back from interstate without any issues. Friend had one and it is still running now (different owner).

Just my observations 😀😀

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

On 12/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, Crusty Trucker said:

Actually, the arced 'torsion-bar' driveshaft was massively overengineered for reliable, trouble-free operation which it performed in real-world operation.  The less robust components were in the transaxle particularly the V8 Lemans.   These Tempest/Lemans cars are some of the most interesting '60's GM products.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, Crusty Trucker said:

I believe the Pinto had a foot or so of  similar material in the steering column as a safety feature. They crash tested OK from the front.