1932 Packard Restoration Fabrics

V16

Restoring a 1932 Packard 5 pass. coupe, trying to locate automotive grade fabric has been difficult. Looking for suggestions on where to purchase a high quality Bedford Cord material like the original , photo attached. If there is someone that has a supply of unused fabric that matches this please advise. This would be a good opportunity to sell off some material that you will not be using. The original fabric was a Laidlaw 319D Broadcloth or sometimes referred to as a bedford cord.  The original color is in the blue grey range. Please feel free to call me, Allen at 217 778 1425 or email to this site, thanks for any help.

IMG_3985.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Bingobob, some 40 or so years ago I decided to reupholster the front seats and door panels on my 1934 1100.  It had the brown Laidlaw pinstripe broadcloth looking just like the sample pictured above and Bill Hirsch had a run of the material made in Scotland for myself and several others.  I purchased enough to do the entire interior and still have the balance left after only doing the front seats.  I haven't examined the material in years but if you're interested in the brown pinstripe material let me know.

Owen_Dyneto, Thank you for your timely reply and Merry Christmas! Since that is the match to my interior I would definitely be interested. I thought I might just make a small kick panel to cover the damage on the driver door as the rest of the panel is good. The driver side seat back has a small tear and the left side rear seat kick panel has a pretty good size tear in it as well. Other than these 3 spots the interior is in pretty decent shape, though the header panel over the winscreen needs a complete restore of the wood grain. It's the Butt Walnut pattern, which GIT has the pattern to duplicate the original. Let me know how much material you have available and in the mean time I'll measure what I need to repair each area. Thanks again!

IMG_6893.jpg.44b148d5be01e8f8fcfb3578f5250512.jpgIMG_6895.jpg.dc3e38bac019600fa2d7597967401fe2.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

Glad to hear of your interest, perhaps I should send you a swatch first to confirm the match?   I bought enough to do an entire 1100 and only used what was needed for two front seats so I have PLENTY.  Let's hope that the moths haven't gotten to it over the years.  First, how about you PM me with your mailing address and I'll send a small swatch for you to check against yours.  If that's a go-ahead, we'll have to work out something to confirm that the material is still in good condition.   I'm in northeastern New Jersey, hopefully you're nearby and could help me drag it down (it's a very large and heavy roll) from the attic and open and examine?

Awaiting your PM, how about including an email?

Dave

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Owen_Dyneto, Thank you for your timely reply and Merry Christmas! Since that is the match to my interior I would definitely be interested. I thought I might just make a small kick panel to cover the damage on the driver door as the rest of the panel is good. The driver side seat back has a small tear and the left side rear seat kick panel has a pretty good size tear in it as well. Other than these 3 spots the interior is in pretty decent shape, though the header panel over the winscreen needs a complete restore of the wood grain. It's the Butt Walnut pattern, which GIT has the pattern to duplicate the original. Let me know how much material you have available and in the mean time I'll measure what I need to repair each area. Thanks again!

IMG_6893.jpg.44b148d5be01e8f8fcfb3578f5250512.jpgIMG_6895.jpg.dc3e38bac019600fa2d7597967401fe2.jpg