For Sale: 1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe - Project - $3,800 - Cordova, IL - Not Mine

For Sale: 1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe - Project - $3,800 - Cordova, IL

Lincoln continental coupe - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Lincoln Continental 2 dr coupe /66D, 8 cycl 5.0 L electron fuel injection 302 cid engine automatic 4 speed
One owner, 78,000 original mi., chamois metallic paint- moon dust with caramel roof coach and leather interior. Lacy spoke aluminum rims, loaded - see original window sticker for more details. Always been garaged. Been stored last 22 yrs. started up 6 yrs ago and replaced fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, battery, chgd oil and oil filter. Engine turned right over after sitting 16 yrs and again after sitting 4 yrs. needs tires. Asking $3,800.00. Currant Nada price guide has low retail $5,629 and average $14,950.

Copy and paste in your email: 135d81acc51d32adaa6b2497dec62fe5@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe - Project

'80 lincoln town cp IL a.jpg

'80 lincoln town cp IL b.jpg

'80 lincoln town cp IL c.jpg

'80 lincoln town cp IL d.jpg

'80 lincoln town cp IL e.jpg

'80 lincoln town cp IL f.jpg

'80 lincoln town cp IL g.jpg

'80 lincoln town cp IL h.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The Town Coupes of 1977-1979 are readily available,

even common.  For some reason, their popularity dropped

quickly when the somewhat smaller 1980 versions came out,

and they lasted only through the 1981 model year.

Does anyone have any explanation from that time?

John:

Some answer might be found in this Curbside Classics article:

Panther Finale: 1981 Town Coupe In Pine Opalescent – The eBay CC Effect | Curbside Classic

I recall reading in "Continental Comments", the LCOC club publication, that the 1980-'81 Continental town coupe sales dropped to less than half of what they were for the last years of the 1970's Continental Town Coupes.  The 1977-79 Continental Mark V which had been wildly popular with 75K-80K annual sales; the market rejected the downsized Mark Vi coupes to approximately 20K annual sales.   Fielding two similar Panther-platform two door Lincolns, both with comparatively dismal sales returns, couldn't be justified, so the better selling Mark VI got the nod.   

Steve

Edited by 58L-Y8
syntax corrected (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

This looks like a very well preserved example. A little polish and elbow grease would make this thing gleam again. can't beat a fuel injected 302. Coupes are pretty rare. No need to restore this beauty, just preserve it. The price is attractive but it's too far away from me.

Took a deeper dive into the photos, description, back story from Steve's post.   Given a choice, for me, I am still not buying this car. But there is no question this would not be an excellent entry level car for someone to get into the hobby.  I wish younger kids could be convinced to do so.  They would help preserve this rare car and enjoy the company of fun folks on driving tours and shows. 

Proportion wise I just don't like it enough.  I love that color.