Old Wooden Spoked wheels

Duffer

They look like aftermarket wheels for a Ford Model T with solid rubber tires. They mounted on pre-installed studs much like modern wheels. Most would have normal tire/tube installed so if you had a flat, would change the whole wheel instead of fixing the flat on the car. The rim looks to be the clincher type, so the solid rubber tire may have been added later. 

You some times see similar on Model TT 1 ton trucks.  As Mark says, probably aftermarket. TT's were pretty slow to begin with , and there were lots of conversions on the market to make them even lower geared  / slower. Underdrives, chain drive rear set ups etc. If you stay under 15 MPH the solid tires are very long lasting.

• Like 2

Unfortunately very low value. Almost no one would actually use wheels like this today.  The solid rubber tires are very expensive to have replaced. And you are stuck with a 15 MPH max Model T. No one is using a Model T as a heavy load truck anymore. Really just a display item, and very heavy to ship. If you have a local early truck guy near by they might want them as a curiosity , but I doubt anyone would actually pay for them.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The wood in these look pretty good. You might try to sawzall through the rims without cutting into the wood felloe and pry them off. Where the two halves of the felloe come together there is a clamp. You might have to chisel the rubber out and grind out the stem of that clamp through the rim but good clincher rims could be squeezed back on the wheels and maybe used again. The stem of the clamp would need to weld to the new rim again,there would need to be a hole there and a quick heliarc weld would be best. At the price of rewooding some of these wheels,it may be worth the effort by someone that has more time than money.

The wood is full of wood borer holes, so pretty well done for. Looks to be standard Model T wheel with these hubs added (could be 30X3 or 30X3.5?), if they are, better rims, felleos and spokes could be found without all the cutting and work. One of the Model T books I have shows how to make and install this type of setup. 

Looking at the photos, the wood is shot  especially the felloes.  The steel rims are so badly rusted they would be useless for rebuilding.  Certainly not worth the effort to restore them. Paint them black and hang on the wall in your garage.

Terry

Don't let the borer beetles get into anything else! If they are still alive? As much as I rarely ever destroy anything antique, I would probably burn those wheels. And you wouldn't believe the amount of time and effort I have put into restoring original wood spoke wheels!

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)