1965 Riviera HEATER Blower Fan Highest Speed not working

Parccent65

My Riviera has factory AC and there is a Blower switch for the AC and a Blower switch for the Heater/Defroster. The highest speed (fan) for the heater isn't working but the other lower speeds do work. On the AC Blower ALL speeds work and I believe it has a 30 Amp fuse for it. Is there a separate relay or something else for the high heater speed? Does that 30A fuse cover both the AC and Heater blower lower speeds?

The high speed operates off of a high speed fan relay, it is on the passenger side fender inner, inside the motor compartment. All other speeds are regulated through the blower motor resistor. I would bet money ( if I had any) on the relay.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Parccent65 said:

My Riviera has factory AC and there is a Blower switch for the AC and a Blower switch for the Heater/Defroster. The highest speed (fan) for the heater isn't working but the other lower speeds do work. On the AC Blower ALL speeds work and I believe it has a 30 Amp fuse for it. Is there a separate relay or something else for the high heater speed? Does that 30A fuse cover both the AC and Heater blower lower speeds?

The heater fan switch and the AC fan switch do not have identical fan speeds. The high speed on the AC fan switch brings in the high speed relay but the heater fan switch does not. However, both switches utilize the blower resistor board, so if all your AC fan switch positions work that indicates your heater fan switch may be the culprit. Might be a good idea to double check the heater fan speeds...the difference between speeds is not great.

Tom Mooney

I have a 64, and the high speed for the AC works, and ONLY high speed, and nothing works for the heat/defrost.  Also, when I use the AC, again, only high speed works... I get blast-furnace heat coming out of the vent at the rear of the center console while cold air blows out of the dash vents.  I don't have a clue where to begin.  Sorry to hijack your question, Parccent65.  Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and fix this dilemma?

On 10/15/2022 at 10:40 PM, Parccent65 said:

There appears to be a connectivity issue with the relay (?). If I disconnect and reconnect the connector with the three wires — the high speed heater fan works, but temporarily — like several days. The connector looks very worn (see photos). Are these very easy to find? The heater fan on high isn't as strong (but it does work) as the AC fan on high — are these two separate fans? Thanks for your replies.

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_3131.jpeg

Edited by Parccent65 (see edit history)