Help to i.d. a convertible with rumble seat

Annie77

image.jpeg.ec2df15ae4e85c72ceec4b5a92aad56c.jpeg

Hello All,

I'm trying to identify what type of car this is. I see it has a rumble seat without the padding on the back. And I'm told that the hubcaps are the smaller part in the center of 3-piece rims. Unusual design on the rims? Would they have been painted? Also, note the (painted on?) design on the right-rear tire. FYI, the back of the photo only has "Gannon" written in pencil, which I'm thinking is probably this guy's surname. Thank you so much for your expert help!

A little tough to be sure with so much of the car hidden by the fellow's wings. But I am fairly sure it is a 1930 or 1931 model A Ford roadster, slightly modified. The wheels are between about 1933 and 1937, and could have been after-market accessories or something adapted from some mid 1930s automobile.

Keiser31 just chimed in and beat me!

It looks like some sort of ceremonial dance costume he is showing off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Annie77 said:

image.jpeg.ec2df15ae4e85c72ceec4b5a92aad56c.jpeg

Hello All,

I'm trying to identify what type of car this is. I see it has a rumble seat without the padding on the back. And I'm told that the hubcaps are the smaller part in the center of 3-piece rims. Unusual design on the rims? Would they have been painted? Also, note the (painted on?) design on the right-rear tire. FYI, the back of the photo only has "Gannon" written in pencil, which I'm thinking is probably this guy's surname. Thank you so much for your expert help!

Definitely a Model A Ford roadster - you can see the corner of the windshield behind the guy's left shoulder.  The shape of the fenders and the bead on the hood above the louvers makes it a 1930 or 31.  However, the headlights might be 28 - 29 as they look a little pointy on the back.  30 - 31 are rounded.  It might be a DeLuxe as rumble seat was standard on those, although it was optional on Standards.  The back cushion is easily removed and yes, it's missing.  The artillery wheels are similar to 36 - 39 Ford but I think they're aftermarket.  They probably are composed of separate parts but welded and/or riveted into one piece (not counting the removable hubcap).  Yes, they probably were painted and the contrasting painted trim on the spokes was common on those style wheels.

20 hours ago, Annie77 said:

Thank you for the detailed response and thank you to all who contributed. You guys are awesome!

You're welcome.  After blowing up the picture, I can see the headlights are the correct rounded 30 - 31.  The shadow in the pic makes them look pointy.

I'd guess the picture is during or shortly after WW2.  The guy doesn't look Samoan - he might have been a serviceman showing off his souvenir grass skirt.