PA-PB head lights

broker-len

1 hour ago, broker-len said:

see picture    these light could be put on your car as is   almost show quality good for driver---   got them from Plymouth club member      don't think they were ever opened    the reflectors seem to be tarnished    lights only in pictures       

LIGHTS 1.jpg

LIGHTS 2.jpg

Price?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It would be nice if original posters would respond to questions after they post items or even note if items have been sold... OK enough of my rant...

QUESTION!

The post indicates that these headlights will fit both the PA and the PB, according to the Plymouth parts book the PA has two different listed (serial #), a colour keyed set, plus the black option, the PB has chrome or black... were all the chrome PA and PB headlight part numbers superseded into one number in the aftermarket world? They look similar... Just wondering??...... and trying to get a response from the OP....

STAY SAFE!

very sorry     did not see your post     when ever something is important on this web sight I send a PM    I try to post my personal E mail     when posting        again I am sorry     they are sold    have other PA PB stuff     bobnroman@yahoo.com

Thanks for responding Bob and answering the month old post, Yes.. PM's are great for communicating back and forth and not clogging up the forum with non related text but ONLY those included in those emails are able to read them and the rest of the public who are searching this great forum for parts and or information are left in the dark as to the status of posted info.

Back to original programming, Would anyone know if the chrome headlight buckets from the PA and PB are interchangeable?..... Asking for a friend....

Dave

I bought them. PA PB both? I have no idea but they are going on my model U. Are they correct? I doubt it but they are a lot closer than what is on it. It now has painted lights with the bucket shaped like Madonna and just a clear lens. These are chrome & shaped more like Dolly and have  Twilite lenses which I think might even be correct for a 29.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:06 AM, Canadian PB Kid said:

Thanks for responding Bob and answering the month old post, Yes.. PM's are great for communicating back and forth and not clogging up the forum with non related text but ONLY those included in those emails are able to read them and the rest of the public who are searching this great forum for parts and or information are left in the dark as to the status of posted info.

Back to original programming, Would anyone know if the chrome headlight buckets from the PA and PB are interchangeable?..... Asking for a friend....

Dave

Dave,

here is what I have hope it gets you closer to a answer

Rich

IMG_0787.jpg

5 hours ago, thehandleman said:

Dave,

here is what I have hope it gets you closer to a answer

Rich

It looks like I have the lights Dave needs. I guess they aren't correct for our 29 but they are so much closer than the hideous things that are on it I can't give them up. The clear lens sends light in every direction except where you need to see and the pointy shaped buckets look wrong too. Anyone know what they might have came off of? 

IMG_0787.jpg

DSCN0252.JPG

Hi,

ALMOST KINDA LOOK LIKE 1927-28 CHEVY ?? ,WELL I OWN A 29 PLY ROADSTER PICTURED BELOW AND A 32 PB ROADSTER IF YOU GO TO HERSHEY, I MAY HAVE THE CORRECT HEADLIGHTS FOR SALE FOR A 1929 U,  I UNDERSTAND THE FRONT BUMPER LOOKS IFFY YOURS SEEMS TO CURVE TO MUCH AND ESPECIALLY THE MOUNTING AREA AND I NEVER SAW A MODEL U WITH THE DIAMOND BOLT PATTERN MOUNTS SHOULD BE RECTANGULAR SQUARE.  SEE MINE IN PICTURE, MY DAD BOUGHT MY MODEL U IN 1964 FROM THE ORIGINAL BUYER, IF YOU NEED ANY OTHER PARTS I MAY HAVE A SPARE USUALLY IF I HAVE MORE THEN TWO I WILL SELL, I THINK I HAVE BUMPERS STILL IF THEY DID NOT SELL LAST YEAR.

REGARDS AND GOOD LUCK ON THAT RARE PUPPY IT DESERVES TO BE CORRECT. THERE ARE VERY VERY FEW OF THE PHAETONS AROUND.

RICH

RIIMG_4114.JPG.2e2e507ce25ca36dc2a5fc644a3c4743.JPG

• Like 1

I know quite a few of the parts have been changed over the years. I am slowly getting it back closer to the way it should look even if its not perfect. The picture I posted was taken before we bought it. I have since installed the correct radiator and am in the process of getting the engine back to looking somewhat correct. It was John Deer green & blue painted over silver and black. It has a plastic steering wheel which I am replacing along with a nice tight steering sector. I am still looking for a light switch lever and a clum switch and a horn ( I have the bracket) I won't be going to Hershey its way too far from N. Texas.

Chrome Grill .jpg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 3:50 PM, thehandleman said:

Hi,

ALMOST KINDA LOOK LIKE 1927-28 CHEVY ?? ,WELL I OWN A 29 PLY ROADSTER PICTURED BELOW AND A 32 PB ROADSTER IF YOU GO TO HERSHEY, I MAY HAVE THE CORRECT HEADLIGHTS FOR SALE FOR A 1929 U,  I UNDERSTAND THE FRONT BUMPER LOOKS IFFY YOURS SEEMS TO CURVE TO MUCH AND ESPECIALLY THE MOUNTING AREA AND I NEVER SAW A MODEL U WITH THE DIAMOND BOLT PATTERN MOUNTS SHOULD BE RECTANGULAR SQUARE.  SEE MINE IN PICTURE, MY DAD BOUGHT MY MODEL U IN 1964 FROM THE ORIGINAL BUYER, IF YOU NEED ANY OTHER PARTS I MAY HAVE A SPARE USUALLY IF I HAVE MORE THEN TWO I WILL SELL, I THINK I HAVE BUMPERS STILL IF THEY DID NOT SELL LAST YEAR.

REGARDS AND GOOD LUCK ON THAT RARE PUPPY IT DESERVES TO BE CORRECT. THERE ARE VERY VERY FEW OF THE PHAETONS AROUND.

RICH

RIIMG_4114.JPG.2e2e507ce25ca36dc2a5fc644a3c4743.JPG

Since this thread is already derailed :) and I can't send a PM yet, I have to ask if this is the correct paint for the 29 roadster? Ardsley Green & Swap Holley Orange? 

I recently acquired a 29 roadster that is painted black, with cream wire wheels. But under a paint chip in the door jamb its green. And ply33 lists Ardsley as the correct green color for a 29. Some day the car will need a repaint and original is always a consideration. 

Well before my dad passed in 2012 and he and earl buton the 29 tech guy at the time always had a argument on that my 29 is matched to a piece of steel that was under the wood support up under the cowl behind dash and had never been removed so thats all I can say about the green on my 29 Roadster, the swamp holley orange is correct for belt line and wire wheels

cheers

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dweber said:

So it’s what mine should look like. (If I have to run the colors by the wife) 👍

This one also has the incorrect wire wheels, I think. Hubcap covers the lug nuts. 

IMG_5754.jpeg.d6604de8a60e308e12bf7dc4649d48bc.jpeg

Those look to be 1931 wheels and caps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2023 at 10:03 AM, Dweber said:

So it’s what mine should look like. (If I have to run the colors by the wife) 👍

This one also has the incorrect wire wheels, I think. Hubcap covers the lug nuts. 

IMG_5754.jpeg.d6604de8a60e308e12bf7dc4649d48bc.jpeg

The wheel thing makes me laugh! Over 90 years later and what do most car nuts do when they get a new car? Change the wheels of course!

I have heard several opinions about our bumpers. One that they are Model A bumpers, I don't think so since they don't look like any A I have seen. Another is that a lot of the dealers put on bumpers that they sold. Well maybe so, I worked at a Ford dealership in the 70's and the customer had several rear bumpers to pick from. Whatever they are they are shiny and look good so I'm not looking to change them. 

Our car was not a barn find that sat unmolested for decades. It has more hard miles on it than a New York taxi cab. The steel clutch pedal is worn nearly smooth. The shaft that the clutch & brake pivot on shows quite a bit of wear. The spring hangers had already been replaced at least once and the bushings were completely gone on the load side. The block looks to have had sleeves installed and is .060 over again. It is on at least its third starter ring. See the drag link hanging down in the car above? Either the touring was different or ours has been changed out to one that has ends like the tie rods, and its pretty worn. 

To me this is a testament as to how tough these cars are and how well they held up under some very harsh operating conditions. Its hard miles days are over but its still not going to be a garage queen.

I have an original 29 sedan and the steering components (drag link) are the same on both cars. Good to see your touring out and in use. 

This roadster was actually Frank P's. He was member here and on Chet's site. I see you are on Chet's forum as touring29. I am crazydave over there. 

I have driven 3 different 29Us. You really can get feel for how wore they are by how the transmission shifter feels,  how the doors hang and close etc. My old original 29U sedan is actually the tightest, but the engine needs an overhaul. The blow by is terrible, but it still runs good. 

• Like 1

Chet is a good guy and has helped me on a number of projects. The good thing about his site is its just model Q&U's The bad thing is that its just Q&U's so it doesn't get enough traffic.

If your 29U sedan just needs rings they may not be available. Egge has pistons that use a more modern ring package. If it needs to be bored it can actually be done with the motor in the car with a old style boring bar. The hard part is getting the old studs out of the block without twisting them off and cleaning out all the cuttings and honeing material with the crank & cam still intact. If it needs new babbit  Its a lot bigger job! They used to have a crank grinder that would do the rods with the block in the car. If the mains were damaged it had to come out of course. 

How did we get from headlights for sale to fixing motors? I don't know but the headlights are sitting in my garage so I guess it doesn't matter.

• Haha 1

Chet has fantastic guides on how he rebuilt his. 

This silver dome will get totally gone through. I'm sure the valve guides, valves etc. are shot. It kind of has a warm knock, thinking bearing. I am familiar with the old stuff, actually have a really early Waukesha engine at the Babbitt shop right now. 

I'll let this thread die, see ya on Chet's forum. 

• Like 1