New to forum, reviving parked 88

CarrieJT

My 1988 Reatta is finally home and it's been so long I've forgotten most of my knowledge. Hoping someone here can help. I have shop manuals but I don't speak that language too well.

No interior lights for anything anywhere, no normal clicking and whirring buzz...and no fuel pump sound. I got battery on and engine will run with carb cleaner sprayed into intake.

I swapped steering columns and was able to start with key (long story between ex and thieves). The heater, a.c., CRT, etc was not working nor was dash lights, before I parked it in 2015. But could still drive it.

Any ideas? I don't see any rat chewed wires or loose connections. I'm thinking a bad relay or blown inline fuse, or I'm missing something maybe?

Help is much appreciated... This was my favorite car ever made. I have an extra for parts so I'm ready to learn/get going again! TIA!

Try checking all of these connections in the diagram for corrosion or  being loose. Look at the fuseable links to make sure one of them isn't burned up. https://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=62:other-electrical&id=224:ground-terminals-junction-box-location

Edited by rogold99 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

To check the fuel pump activation directly, check for voltage on the green connector which is somewhere near the brake master under the hood. It is a bare female spade. Should have voltage for a few seconds when the key is turned to run. Alternately, apply 12v+ to the connector which will activate the pump if it is capable of running

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CarrieJT said:

My 1988 Reatta is finally home and it's been so long I've forgotten most of my knowledge. Hoping someone here can help. I have shop manuals but I don't speak that language too well.

No interior lights for anything anywhere, no normal clicking and whirring buzz...and no fuel pump sound. I got battery on and engine will run with carb cleaner sprayed into intake.

I swapped steering columns and was able to start with key (long story between ex and thieves). The heater, a.c., CRT, etc was not working nor was dash lights, before I parked it in 2015. But could still drive it.

Any ideas? I don't see any rat chewed wires or loose connections. I'm thinking a bad relay or blown inline fuse, or I'm missing something maybe?

Help is much appreciated... This was my favorite car ever made. I have an extra for parts so I'm ready to learn/get going again! TIA!

Just today I fired up my winter Reatta. Everything worked when it went into storage, but when I got it no chimes, touch screen illumination or buttonsworking on the touch screen. Swapped out the PCM [Power Control Module] and everything came back. I did check the fuses but that wasn't it. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:09 PM, Barney Eaton said:

You should get the old fuel out even if the pump does not need replacing. 

The neighbors had already relieved me of all fuel and my catalytic converter... 🙄 So no problem with the gas except what was still in the lines. I'll drain out the 3gal I put in though, good idea

On 9/22/2022 at 8:15 PM, DAVES89 said:

Just today I fired up my winter Reatta. Everything worked when it went into storage, but when I got it no chimes, touch screen illumination or buttonsworking on the touch screen. Swapped out the PCM [Power Control Module] and everything came back. I did check the fuses but that wasn't it. 

I have a spare car for parts I was considering doing that to get my lights on. Also the 110inverter in the dash I think I'll swap it... 

On 9/22/2022 at 4:43 PM, 2seater said:

To check the fuel pump activation directly, check for voltage on the green connector which is somewhere near the brake master under the hood. It is a bare female spade. Should have voltage for a few seconds when the key is turned to run. Alternately, apply 12v+ to the connector which will activate the pump if it is capable of running

I videoed it and yes it flashed the light tester at the green connector and at the relay. I can get it to run if someone sprays carb cleaner into intake. I was sure glad to hear it run...although it sounded like my motorcycle...neighbor had cut off the cat conv...

On 9/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, rogold99 said:

Try checking all of these connections in the diagram for corrosion or  being loose. Look at the fuseable links to make sure one of them isn't burned up. https://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=62:other-electrical&id=224:ground-terminals-junction-box-location

All this seemed to check out clean and still tight. I got connectors today so I'm going to swap out the relay terminal for fuel pump. It's just greasy nasty but seems functional. I checked the pins and also swapped relays. Same result...no fuel pump.

I wonder about the wires actually under the car to the pump? Which side are they on? Maybe a rat chewed it or they cut it when removing my cat conv???