Beaulieu Autojumble - the Hershey of Europe!

Terry Bond

Last weekend, the Beaulieu Autojumble was held at the National Motor Museum in the South of England.  It's known as "the Hershey of Europe."  It's been years since I've attended but every year, fondly remember the great time and amazing stuff discovered there, as well as the wonderful people. Many are still friends and a few even come to Hershey every year (except of course for the time when covid closed the borders).  I'm always anxious to get news of the event and look at photos.  Many of these were captured from internet postings but most were graciously supplied by Mike and Murray Shears, who will be back at Hershey again after a long wait. 

Reports from the event indicate there was some rain early in the event, but over-all it was decent.  Attendance was slightly down and many of the European vendors are still not able to attend because of some stupid rules surrounding Brexit.  still, there is nothing like Beaulieu for cars, parts, and autombilia.  When I was there, early brass-age stuff was predominate.  Over the years, things gravitated to newer as collecting interests changed. Still though, it's an unequaled opportunity to find early and rare parts. 

The grounds of the National Motor Museum are enclosed, and on opening day for the public, thousands of people "que-up" waiting for the gates to open.  When that happens, it's a mad rush as the crowd surges into the field, everyone with their own destination in mind, or their own special technique searching through the market.  Merchandise often literally flies off the table as people reach for treasures.  It's an experience I'll never forget. 

Of course the passing of Queen Elizabeth was on everyone's mind, and I include a couple of photos not Beaulieu related but still important - for those who know Mike and Murray, here is as photo of Murray celebrating his 50th birthday, and also an older photo of Mike receiving his CBE from the Queen.  These are reminders that we make memories every day, so make the best of them while you have an opportunity!

I'll let you enjoy the photos and if you were there, please share your pictures and reports.

The crowd.jpg

Good sstuff.jpg

Table of lamps.jpg

Beautiful brass lamps.jpg

Badges.jpg

Brass at Beaulieu.jpg

Good bunch of signs.jpg

Mascots.jpg

More signs.jpg

Motometers.jpg

On the tarp.jpg

Porcelain signs.jpg

Showcases full.jpg

Tables full in a tent.jpg

Mike and Queen Elizabeth.jpeg

Murray at 50.jpg

Early parts.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

THANK YOU! There are three events in the UK I'd love to visit after visiting my Dad's B-17 base. Beaulieu Auto Jumble, Goodwood Festival of Speed and the London to Briton Run. See you at Hershey! Bob 

Have not been to Goodwood and never actually rode in a car on the London to Brighton, but know many who have.  Wish I'd taken the offer of a seat when I was there. 

Will see you at Hershey - bringing any plugs?

Terry

34 minutes ago, CChinn said:

Great photos and items for sale. I will be attending Hershey for the first time this fall and hope the swap meet has a similar variety and quality of items for sale. Thanks for posting!

You'll be amazed at the stuff that shows up!  Takes a lot of walking, and a fat wallet but it's only once a year and can't be beat!

Terry

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

but it's only once a year and can't be beat!

I am in total agreement, I still have the small brass sidelight made by Neverout that I bought in the flea market at Hershey in 1965, the first time I attended.  That flea market field is no longer there.  I remember having to tell my parents that I paid $6.00 for it. It was actually priced at $12 but the seller let me have it for $8 because some of the brass had an age crack in it. I didn't like to tell a "fib" to my folks but I had saved up some of my daily lunch money from high school and used that to help pay for the light. It was over 25 years later that I was able to get the "mate" to make a pair that matched.  But it was more then $8.00. 🤩

3 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Have not been to Goodwood and never actually rode in a car on the London to Brighton, but know many who have.  Wish I'd taken the offer of a seat when I was there. 

Will see you at Hershey - bringing any plugs?

Terry

Nothing special in plugs, but I may bring along a few choice ones if I need to cover the cost of something I find more enchanting.