FS- RARE 1919 MODEL 48 SPECIAL OVERSEAS LOCOMOBILE LIMOUSINE

FS- Currently accepting good faith offers: go to end of posting for pricing information

THE FUNDING PERIOD FOR THIS SALE HAS ENDED. THIS VEHICLE WILL GO TO THE GENTLEMAN  FROM SEATTLE

I THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR OFFERS  AND ADVICE DURING THIS PROCESS

- GARRET

A rare partially restored 1919 model 48 Locomobile Limousine. This model was part of a special edition produced by Locomobile for General Pershing and his staff in WW1. Twelve were purchased by the military and were sent to France and two returned after the war.

In 1917, the cost of this Locomobile in the US was $8,200. The cost of delivery to France was $9,130. In comparison, the Cadillac of the time cost $3,300. Owning a Locomobile was reserved for only the wealthiest of individuals, such as; Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Wrigley. A limited number of these special overseas limousines were offered for purchase to the aforementioned elites.

There were no shortcuts taken in the Model 48’s materials, construction methods, or finishes and it was, without doubt, the best performing and most robust American luxury car of its day. The model 48 was powered by a big 525 cubic inch side-valve inline six-cylinder. It was rated at 48 taxable horsepower, with actual output topping 100hp by the 1920s. Many of the powertrain components were cast in an expensive bronze alloy, and the engines proved extremely robust.  The iron T-head cylinders were cast in pairs and bolted to a bronze crankcase which contained a drop-forged alloy steel crankshaft that was both statically and dynamically balanced and rode in seven main bearings. An aluminum intake manifold was mated up with a bronze-bodied carburetor while the gearbox casing was cast in manganese bronze. The exhaust valves were chrome-cobalt steel. The chassis members were pressed from chrome-nickel steel, then heat treated and hot-riveted together. It rode on chrome-nickel-tungsten steel leaf springs, and had electric starting and a four-speed gearbox….

THE LOCOMOBILE IN QUESTION

This car was owned by my father, who was a Mechanical Engineer and recently passed away. The Locomobile has been in our procession since 1967 when he purchased it from a gentleman in the  San Francisco East Bay. Currently, the chassis and body are in separate rooms of our garage/shop and are on blocks. Most of the engine and chassis have been restored and the body's shell looks good, but the interior needs to be “attended” to. It still needs extensive restoration throughout though. This would be a good project for the right person.

There are many parts that are in plastic bags and boxes. The majority are labeled.

We have purchase documentation and other documentation dating back to 1929

We are in the East Bay area of Northern California.

Throughout his life, my father was involved in the restoration of classic and antique vehicles, including as a volunteer for the local historical society.

Please follow the Dropbox link to see pictures of this car and I will try to answer all your questions. Thank you for your interest and comments. Vmcfanntrust@gmail.com

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/df31ofk9ekeuaki/AABb9QE5oBizj0aIU6MOxR4fa?dl=0

*I HAVE NOW ALSO CREATED A WEBSITE WITH MORE PICTURES OF THE CAR , PLUS QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS , AS WELL AS THE LATEST OFFER*

website address: https://wordpress.com/view/1919pershinglocomobile.wordpress.com

Interested Buyers,

Regarding the pricing information on the Locomobile for sale. I have opted to take offers rather than a stated price. All offers above 15k will be taken seriously. However, the family does reserve the right not to sell this vehicle to the highest bidder and will take other factors under consideration, such as the intent of the buyer, the buyer's competence and knowledge base to complete this project, as well as restore its historical and accurate condition. We are most interested in having someone continue the work our father started and see it completed in our lifetime.

The bidder’s names will be kept confidential. However, the current offers will be publicized on various social media platforms, including the AACA.

The sale period will end on Nov. 1, 2022. If you are interested in making an offer, want more pictures or information, or would like to make an appointment to see the car, email me at:

Vmcfanntrust@gmail.com

IRV00119.jpeg

IRV00128.jpeg

20220911_102258.jpg

20220911_102344.jpg

20220911_102411 (1).jpg

Edited by GARRET MCFANN
changing year of car (see edit history)

• GARRET MCFANN changed the title to FS- RARE 1919 MODEL 48 SPECIAL OVERSEAS LOCOMOBILE LIMOUSINE

For some interest, here is a picture of a restored

1914 Locomobile limousine from the 2013 AACA

Eastern National Spring Meet in Pennsylvania.  The

roofline had changed by 1919, however, and I think

the entire car was lower.  The 1914 car had a driver's

seat that was very upright and looked uncomfortable

for anything but short trips.

Note, too, that Locomobiles have excellent brakes.

Even their literature stated that the brakes were

designed to "stop the car in an emergency, not

merely slow it down."  And closed cars had very

beautiful interiors, according to that same literature,

designed by noted decorator Elsie de Wolfe.

1914 Locomobile--Natl Spring Meet 2013-1.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The OP car is not a typical limousine. It is one of very few special ordered during wartime as a military vehicle to be used by military top brass. It was intended to get military leaders somewhere fast and efficiently. The Locomobile was one of the finest automobiles in the world at that time for that purpose. As such, a thought occurs to me. Does this car actually qualify for the CCCA? This car (according to past owners?) did not go to the military, and may have been completed after the Great War had ended. But if the original intention was as a military vehicle? Technically, that could define it as a "commercial " vehicle, which by CCCA rules could disqualify it as a Full Classic?

Just something to ponder.

This car certainly is a rare opportunity to get and restore an unusual piece of history. I think it would actually be worth more if it had made it to the European Theater (had it survived and returned?). A few Locomobiles did go, I have seen several photographs of them. As I recall, General Pershing rode in one a great deal. He used one as his "office on wheels".

If I was about fifteen years younger, and had the money to spare? I would have loved this car!

• Like 1

We're having some mental anguish on the other thread trying to determine when these were made and shipped. Probably most were sent to France after the Armistace but still toured the area with bombed out roads, etc. If this still has olive drab paint on it (as it seems to) it probably was in France at some point and a civilian version won't be so painted. I tender to wonder how many of these were really purchased by civilians anyhow. Per what I can find the engine layout and displacement is standard but this may have high speed running gear as was advertised as a modification for the Army staff. An article I found outlines the type and material for the interior textiles (in the other thread). Not to be biased but it would sure look great next to Ron's field ambulance....😄

• Like 1