Trying to ID this possible VW or Porche speedometer

valdolphous

IMG_0815.JPG.3e5e6a9610c3517ef6de16296fbeca16.JPGHi, I'm looking for some help identifying this speedometer, which is encased in a heavy block of wood, with a tag that reads "1989 Fall Tour", Lucky Guess Award. It seems to be in the 1979 to 1982 era when 85 MPH speedometers were mandated and a gift given to someone by a driver I presume. (ge)?  I was told it's from a VW or a Porche but cannot find any info on this piece. thank you for any help or direction. If I have to remove the speedometer to look for info or numbers it may damage the piece so I'll j ust do that as a last resort. 

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

Looks 1980s Jeep CJ to me.

The 85mph speedometer mandate was a misguided US  reaction to late 70s oil "shortages".

The nationwide 55 mph speed limit probably did reduce gasoline consumption enough to make a difference, but that 85mph speedometer with its 55-85 "danger zone" redline was a psychological control pure and simple.

• Like 1

As for the 85-mph speedometer, that came into being through another piece of legislation a few years later. On Sept. 1, 1979, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration added a provision into a regulation focusing on speedometer accuracy to place an emphasis on the 55-mph mark, and for a maximum speed reading of 85 mph. Though the 85-mph mandate only lasted until the first months of President Ronald Reagan’s first term in the White House in 1981, most manufacturers kept the reading at the bottom right of their speedometers until the vehicles were redesigned years later.

These days, with the 55-mph limit relegated to the winds of history, high maximum speedometer readings are the norm, and are often a selling point to those who love the allure of speed. For even if the Toyota Prius can only do 112 mph on a good day while going downhill in hybrid mode, its digital speedometer can count to 199 mph.

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Looks 1980s Jeep CJ to me.

The 85mph speedometer mandate was a misguided US  reaction to late 70s oil "shortages".

The nationwide 55 mph speed limit probably did reduce gasoline consumption enough to make a difference, but that 85mph speedometer with its 55-85 "danger zone" redline was a psychological control pure and simple.

Jeep Cj Factory Speedometer Cj5 Cj7 Cj8 Fuel Temperature Gauge 85 mph Read Ad | eBay

Looks like you got it