1947 Chrysler Club Coupe

Caddy60

I am still having trouble with the filter canister leaking once I start the engine.

I want to be able to drive it to see if I can get it fixed.

would there be any harm if I took off the supply and return lines & put plugs in place of the tubes??

regards 

Bruce 

Yes!!!!!

I did this once many,many years ago and found out that there was no oil circulation in the engine. I was lucky enough to stop the engine before any damage occurred.

For reference I have enclosed a picture from the parts manual showing the entire assembly.

DSCF5654.JPG

How big are the lines? If they are pencil size it is a bypass filter, if they are finger size it is a full flow. Chrysler changed from bypass to full flow about that time.

I would be looking for the cause of the leak. Where is it leaking from? If it was the lid I would be checking if the lid was bent, the filter too long, the seals not sealing or perhaps the old seal was inadvertently left on. Could be lots of things but nothing that wouldn't be obvious to a 10 year old child if he looked at it carefully.

Rusty, The lines appear to be finger size. The leaks come from around the seat where the lid is suppose to seal, when turning the lid onto the seal area ,the lid

wobbles as it is turning down which may indicate that the lid doesn’t sit square onto the seat. That leaves me with looking for a new lid or by passing the filter?

Appreciate your remarks

regards

Bruce Watson

3 hours ago, Caddy60 said:

Rusty, The lines appear to be finger size. The leaks come from around the seat where the lid is suppose to seal, when turning the lid onto the seal area ,the lid

wobbles as it is turning down which may indicate that the lid doesn’t sit square onto the seat. That leaves me with looking for a new lid or by passing the filter?

Appreciate your remarks

regards

Bruce Watson

So you have the full flow filter. In an emergency you could connect the lines and let the oil flow through unfiltered.

I would inspect the lid carefully and if it is bent, straighten it out. If it is too badly warped it may be necessary to replace it.Worst case, you could buy a new remote filter and put a modern spin on filter in place of the old one.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

This problem seems readily solvable to me.  If I had this issue, I think I would first try a new sealing gasket.  If I thought the lid was not seating squarely, I might use a thick, soft rubber or similar material that would compensate for the poor fit.  I might also try to confirm the suspected lack of fit by placing a flat piece of metal over both the filter bowl and the cap to see if one or the other is truly out of shape.  Lots of ways to solve this, but that is what I would do.  Plugging the lines doesn’t seem like the best approach.

• Like 1