Restoring a 63 Riviera

Hey people its been a while.

I wanted to ask where should i start in restoring my latest find. Itsbeen in a sea can for the last 25 years and has suvived remarkably well. A few spots of surface rust but overall straight and original. Im not a great mechanic and will most likely pay to have most of the mechanical work done. It starts and stops but im hesirant to drive any distance. Im thinking a new PB system with 2 lines from the master cylinder as a start. Then maybe drain the tank or? Im on a fixed budget but this is a 63 Riv that deserves my love and attention. What would you start with?

20220812_145841.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a nice solid starting point.  I would begin with a plan.  The first question should be "What is the goal for this car?"  Do you want a 'day-one' factory original restoration, 'sympathetic' refurbishment maintaining as much originality as possible, modified/'resto-mod', something else...?  How will the car be used?

The original brakes on these cars were some of the best in the business in their day.  Modifying the braking system with a dual circuit will not make it work any better.  Rebuilding it and then maintaining it going forward will ensure reliability.  There will be many more pressing items to spend money on...

If you intend to drive the car regularly, I'd start there.  Get it in shape mechanically before ripping it apart for body and interior work.

x2 on joining ROA (https://www.rivowners.org/) and posting this over in the Riviera forum (https://forums.aaca.org/forum/73-buick-riviera/).

• Like 1

1. Issues that affect safety.

2. Issues that affect drivability.

3. Issues that affect comfort. 

That's always been my priority list for old vehicles. If you're on a budget, you may want to hone up on your mechanical skills and do some work yourself. There's a Riviera specific forum here. 

• Like 2

First, join the Riviera Owner's Association. They have all of their technical info. online available to members. You will find that the stories will sustain your enthusiasm. You can also find out about parts suppliers. I have had four Rivs and have been an off and on member for over twenty five years. Their bi monthly magzine is outstanding. 

Your car looks great. Since you are on a budget I would not start dis assembly on anything before you are ready to actually rebuild it. Start with getting the mechanical systems in proper working condition, brakes, steering, suspension, and engine. Get it into safe driving condition and then start driving it. These Rivieras drive like modern cars, they are very powerful and can easily be driven at freeway speeds. They are also pretty good handlers and as was mentioned, brakes when in proper condition, are among the best of their era.

My approach is to preserve whenever possible. Clean the interior, repair any tears or worn spots, polish the brightwork, buff and polish the paint, stabilize and repair small rust spots. Once the car is running and looking as good as it can, then consider if you want to move up to the next level. Costs will really skyrocket once you decide to re upholster the interior, rebuild all the mechanical systems, rechrome the brightwork, and restore and repaint the body.

In my mind there is nothing better than a freshened up, maintained, and preserved original car. You might also find that satisfactory. Good luck and post some more pictures. 

• Like 1