Looking to get an early Cadillac engine rebuilt.

sagefinds

Anyone know of a good restoration shop experienced in rebuilding the pre removable head Cadillac V-8 engines (1915-17)? Or maybe the whole chassis? It was rough,rusty and stripped when I got it out of the Pollard collection many years ago but not much wear on the spring shackles so it may be fairly low miles. Appreciate any leads on good experiences you've had. Thanks,Steve

P.S. PM me or post here.

Unless your expecting to spend six figures, and wait two year……..you will have a difficult time finding an experienced shop……….what’s you expected budget?

I don't know on the budget,that's something I'll have to talk over with the shop. I found a decent replacement 7 pass touring body and had it restored,been upgrading the pile for many years,better frame and axles,etc. Cadillac didn't have the first V-8 but did have the longest running production V-8 in the world I've read. Mine is a 1915,they made 13,001 of them,this one is number 26,believed to be the earliest one still in existence. 

Where are you located? Is Cleveland, OH convenient to you? There is a shop near Cleveland that works on pre-war Cadillacs and other Classics and he owns one of these first gen V8's. I'm not certain I have the right shop but try  Heinrichs Vintage Car Shop  440-668-3763. Maybe Matt Harwood could confirm if this is the shop I'm thinking of. 

About half of these first 3 years production were 7 pass tourings. The other half were all other bodies combined. Very popular "family trucksters" in their day. You can tell what year the car is by the engine #.  The 15 distributer is near the back of the engine, between carb & starter/gen. Distributer on 16 & 17 is up front.

Most shops today that do the best work are simply time and materials. They can give you their best guess…….and you can probably double it…………I have been doing this forty plus years……..It’s getting harder to do everything today due to consolidation of suppliers and outside shops. Hell…….figure 5k just for UPS/FedEx today when doing a total restoration. Money burns incredibly fast. 

7 hours ago, jdome said:

Where are you located? Is Cleveland, OH convenient to you? There is a shop near Cleveland that works on pre-war Cadillacs and other Classics and he owns one of these first gen V8's. I'm not certain I have the right shop but try  Heinrichs Vintage Car Shop  440-668-3763. Maybe Matt Harwood could confirm if this is the shop I'm thinking of. 

About half of these first 3 years production were 7 pass tourings. The other half were all other bodies combined. Very popular "family trucksters" in their day. You can tell what year the car is by the engine #.  The 15 distributer is near the back of the engine, between carb & starter/gen. Distributer on 16 & 17 is up front.

I'm about 1300 miles West of Cleveland in SE Wyoming. Couple guys I know or knew in St Louis,Sonny Elliott and Jim Pearson used to do mainly just Caddys,left a msg at an old number I had for them but haven't heard back. We had a nice older restored 15 7-pass touring for 24 years so I am familiar with them. Lost it in the divorce. I'll try the Heinrichs tomorrow,suspect they're closed back there now. Thanks,Steve

Good afternoon.  My father, son and I have a machine shop that we work on many early engines, including caddy. It's our business and our hobby.  We do all our work in house including babbitting other than cam grinding. We have also made billet connecting rods to replace the hinged rods. If you get a chance, just give me a call.  I can talk a lot faster than typing.  We are in upstate ny and extremely well known in the Franklin car world even though we work on any brand.  Thank you,  Patrick 315 663 1569 Cell. 315 655 8812 shop

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2022 at 7:44 AM, jdome said:

Thanks jdome,

Looks like Dave Heinrich and I will be doing some business on the V-8,Patrick Reeve may help on the 4-cylinder down the road.

Steve G.

• 2 months later...

It's not going to be "six figures............:."'    If you were to pay that kind of money you need to have your head examined.  New pistons/rings under $1000, bore eight holes under $1000, new Babbitt less than $4000, misc gears (if you even need them) less that couple grand.  Line bore, hot tank, paint, gaskets, ; Jesus, if you spent $20k I'd be surprised.

• Haha 2

I just got back from Heinrich's by Cleveland and took him the whole pile. Luckily I have some equity in the house 'cause Social Security sure isn't going to cover it. I'll be 76 in May,I'd rather check out of this life with that car and a couple others done and having some fun with rather than unused equity in the place. 

• Like 2