28 Master Six Exhaust

Schouty

So a good friend of mine just bought a 1928 Master 6. What a beautiful car!  Well I'm helping him with getting it road worthy. The first issue I have run into with it is that the heat rise is cracked and being cast and pretty rusty I would like to try and find a replacement.  Does anyone know of a good resource for parts for this vehicle and the exhaust riser?

Thanks

These heat risers are a chronic problem on all the early Buicks.  The inventory of NOS is gone and nobody has taken on the challenge of making new castings: too cost prohibative.  You will probably need to look at welding the cracked  piece.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the Heat Riser is bolted on top of the carburetor and to the exhaust manifold to heat the fuel and is the upper piece in this diagram.  They are usually blocked off now because fuel quality is much better than back in the 1920's and preheating is not necessary.   The casting could be cracked or the liner tube is often rusted out but can be replaced.   Cracked castings can be repaired up to a point.   The part shown by Ray C is the exhaust diverter valve which is connected to the heat riser.  A photo of the actual broken heat riser would help. 

28 heat riser-carb assy.jpg

• I have three heat risers available as shown in the attached photo. 
  • Studs will need replacement in all three, but they are not cracked.  
  • Left to right, the casting numbers are"
  • 146-5
  • 1A??? (?=Not readable)
  • 2 over 146-29 (opposite side of Marvel logo)

Make offer via PM if interested and include your ship to address to establish shipping cost.

3 Heat Risers.jpg

• Like 2