For Sale: 1947 Dodge Deluxe business coupe -$13,500 - Southaven, AL - Not Mine

For Sale: 1947 Dodge Deluxe business coupe -$13,500 - Southaven, AL

Classic car - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1947 dodge business coupe great condition needs some TLC. odometer: 64162

Copy and paste in your email: c5cde9508e9e347093f4914f33cb5927@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1947 Dodge Deluxe business coupe.

'47 Dodge business TN a.jpg

'47 Dodge business TN b.jpg

'47 Dodge business TN c.jpg

'47 Dodge business TN d.jpg

'47 Dodge business TN e.jpg

AJ:

Optimistically priced for sure.  What is surprising is how many of these 1946-'52 Mopar 3-passenger coupes continue to turn up.  Sooner or later, we'll know where every one of the survivors is and if it's for sale...

Steve 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

Optimistically priced for sure.  What is surprising is how many of these 1946-'52 Mopar 3-passenger coupes continue to turn up.  Sooner or later, we'll know where every one of the survivors is and if it's for sale...

Steve 

Steve,  I pay attention because in HS this would have been a step up from my 2 door special deluxe.     But 41 IS THE YEAR TO HAVE for the mopar 3 window.   A forum member had a 41 New Yorker and he did let me  know when he was selling it.  It was just a bad time for that offer to come around to me.   Only second or third one I've seen for sale in 20 years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

Steve,  I pay attention because in HS this would have been a step up from my 2 door special deluxe.     But 41 IS THE YEAR TO HAVE for the mopar 3 window.   A forum member had a 41 New Yorker and he did let me  know when he was selling it.  It was just a bad time for that offer to come around to me.   Only second or third one I've seen for sale in 20 years.

AJ:

Not to denigrate the doughty Plymouth Special Deluxe two door sedan, but almost anything would have been a step up!  A Mopar 3 window would have been considered funky and cool by your contemporaries.  In my years of walking junkyards, while encountering many six-cylinder 3 window coupe Dodges, DeSotos and Chryslers, only one rough postwar New York was found.  Never a single pre-war New Yorker or Saratoga, those would be the one to own, but seemingly are damn-near extinct.  

If one was comfortable with the idea, swapping a 3-window coupe body onto a sedan chassis might be the only way to have one.   I wished Chrysler had built a convertible coupe on that body since they already had most all the parts necessary to do so.

Steve

2 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

Not to denigrate the doughty Plymouth Special Deluxe two door sedan, but almost anything would have been a step up!  A Mopar 3 window would have been considered funky and cool by your contemporaries.  In my years of walking junkyards, while encountering many six-cylinder 3 window coupe Dodges, DeSotos and Chryslers, only one rough postwar New York was found.  Never a single pre-war New Yorker or Saratoga, those would be the one to own, but seemingly are damn-near extinct.  

If one was comfortable with the idea, swapping a 3-window coupe body onto a sedan chassis might be the only way to have one.   I wished Chrysler had built a convertible coupe on that body since they already had most all the parts necessary to do so.

Steve

First of all,  lets get one thing straight:   My Plymouth was a two door coupe!   I should probably understand the difference between that and the 2 door sedan, but I know it sounds better.    I've flirted with Wayfarer roadsters since my dad and I looked at a pile of junk for 1500 bucks back in 1984.

This is the New Yorker a forum member had.   Probably should have bought it but I may have needed to pay the mortgage that month.

1941ChryslerImperialBusinessCoupe.jpg

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

First of all,  lets get one thing straight:   My Plymouth was a two door coupe!   I should probably understand the difference between that and the 2 door sedan, but I know it sounds better.    I've flirted with Wayfarer roadsters since my dad and I looked at a pile of junk for 1500 bucks back in 1984.

This is the New Yorker a forum member had.   Probably should have bought it but I may have needed to pay the mortgage that month.

1941ChryslerImperialBusinessCoupe.jpg

AJ:

I thought you had the frumpy two door club coupe 6-passenger which I've considered a two-door sedan since it shares its top shell stamping with the four-door sedan, although Plymouth called it a club coupe.  

Having to pass on that 1941 Chrysler New Yorker 3-passenger coupe must have been a painful experience, would be for most of us.  That example looks to be in decent original condition which would be best to preserve as much as possible.   As much as I like the 1941-'42 New Yorker coupes, the choicest would be a 2-passenger 1942 DeSoto Deluxe (469) or Custom (120) coupe.  Wonder if any are still extant?

Steve

7 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

I thought you had the frumpy two door club coupe 6-passenger which I've considered a two-door sedan since it shares its top shell stamping with the four-door sedan, although Plymouth called it a club coupe.  

Having to pass on that 1941 Chrysler New Yorker 3-passenger coupe must have been a painful experience, would be for most of us.  That example looks to be in decent original condition which would be best to preserve as much as possible.   As much as I like the 1941-'42 New Yorker coupes, the choicest would be a 2-passenger 1942 DeSoto Deluxe (469) or Custom (120) coupe.  Wonder if any are still extant?

Steve

There are a few of those 42 De Soto business coupes. I’ll have to find some pictures when I’m on my computer.

But other than the hidden headlights, I prefer the 41 De Soto over the 42.

I believe the De Soto had the advantage of the bigger six-cylinder engine over the Dodge, with very similar looks.

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

There are a few of those 42 De Soto business coupes. I’ll have to find some pictures when I’m on my computer.

But other than the hidden headlights, I prefer the 41 De Soto over the 42.

I believe the De Soto had the advantage of the bigger six-cylinder engine over the Dodge, with very similar looks.

The '42 DeSoto is the essence of Streamline Moderne especially with those fender skirts.  Chrysler Corporation was the master of selling cars with miniscule spec's differences:

Make......wheelbase.........engine ci...........3-w coupe price

1941 Dodge....119.5" ........217.8 ci..............$862

1941 DeSoto...121.5"..........228.1 ci.............$945

1942 Dodge....119.5" ........230.2 ci..............$895

1942 DeSoto...121.5"..........236.7 ci.............$1010

DeSoto was promoted as a step up in value and 'prestige' from Dodge, "More Car for Your Money"...and some folks believed it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 7:49 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

The '42 DeSoto is the essence of Streamline Moderne especially with those fender skirts.  Chrysler Corporation was the master of selling cars with miniscule spec's differences:

Make......wheelbase.........engine ci...........3-w coupe price

1941 Dodge....119.5" ........217.8 ci..............$862

1941 DeSoto...121.5"..........228.1 ci.............$945

1942 Dodge....119.5" ........230.2 ci..............$895

1942 DeSoto...121.5"..........236.7 ci.............$1010

DeSoto was promoted as a step up in value and 'prestige' from Dodge, "More Car for Your Money"...and some folks believed it...

I once had a pair of 42 DeSoto fender Skirts.  Strange looking to say the least.  Even were Blackouts.

DSCF5362.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 7:11 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

Steve

Steve, I think you are confusing the 2 door sedan as being the same as a 2 door club coupe.  The center pillar on the 2 door sedan was vertical like the 4 door where the club coupe has a forward sloped center pillar.  I would not consider Club Coupes frumpy.  They only made about  469 1942 Desoto Deluxe Business Coupes and 120 Custom Business Coupes.  Probably not many left

The 42 DeSoto is so famous for those hideaway headlights but in my opinion it looks like it is missing something when they are closed and doesn't look good at all when they are open. Might be just me. But I'm hooked on the 42 Dodge.

WPC081Night3.jpg

WPC262Show.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:20 AM, alsancle said:

Here are three different views of one - I believe this car is now in Europe.  Additionally, here is a Link to a YouTube video of the same car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10JFLyew-40

42 DeSoto Business Coupe LF view.jpg

42 DeSoto Business Coupe LR view.jpg

42 DeSoto Business Coupe rear.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ron42Dodge said:

Steve, I think you are confusing the 2 door sedan as being the same as a 2 door club coupe.  The center pillar on the 2 door sedan was vertical like the 4 door where the club coupe has a forward sloped center pillar.  I would not consider Club Coupes frumpy.  They only made about  469 1942 Desoto Deluxe Business Coupes and 120 Custom Business Coupes.  Probably not many left

The 42 DeSoto is so famous for those hideaway headlights but in my opinion it looks like it is missing something when they are closed and doesn't look good at all when they are open. Might be just me. But I'm hooked on the 42 Dodge.

Ron42Dodge:

AJ, for his first car, had a '49 Plymouth P-18 two door Club Coupe which has the vertical B-pillar and the same body proportions as the four-door sedan, not the 1946-First Series 1949 Plymouth P-15 Special Deluxe Club Coupe with its angled B-pillar and close-coupled proportions.  The former is the very definition of frumpy and dumpy, the latter the most attractive model other than the convertible and station wagon.   Why designers did that to the 1949-'52 Plymouth two door club coupes when the DeSoto/Dodge/Chryslers got a continuation of the prior Club Coupe configuration is a mystery.   The 3-passenger Plymouth business coupes have the cache because of their funky proportions.

All the 1942 Mopars got interesting frontal styling, the DeSoto the most Streamline Moderne followed by the Chrysler.  Dodge is the stateliest and elegant, the Plymouth rich and impressive for a low-priced car.  Of that 1941-First Series 1949 body series, the most attractive for me are the four-window town sedans which only Dodge offered postwar.   The town sedan body style was developed in response to the highly successful 1940 GM Torpedo C-Body which swept the industry as the time, only Ford didn't respond.  By the production numbers, Mopar buyers weren't as style conscious, resisted paying the additional $50-$60 more for the town sedan over the six-window sedans. 

My ideals would be a fully equipped 1941 Chrysler Crown Imperial C-30 Special Town Sedan or a 1942 Chrysler New Yorker Highlander town sedan with the blue-green plaid interior or a 1942 DeSoto Custom Town Sedan with the Fifth Avenue interior option.  Don't ask for much, do I?

Steve