'41 Buick Super Sedan on Ebay, price reduced to $24,700

This car has been hanging around on Ebay for the past several months with no bids and no "buy it now" price.  Today, they put a price on it of $27,500.  That's a lot to pay for a 4-door, but I have to say that this car looks very nice.  A lot of work has obviously been done on it, and most of it looks to be period correct.  The interior has correct door panels and reasonably correct seat fabric -- however, the top and bottom of the seat has leather (or vinyl, hard to say) that is not correct.  I'm not sure the paint color is factory correct, but it looks very good, as does all the chrome and stainless trim.  As an owner of the same year and model, I can tell you that these make very nice drivers.  If I were looking for one and was willing to spend for a fresh restoration, I would certainly want to take a look at this car.  It's being sold by a dealer in Utah.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234604036853?hash=item369f7d82f5:g:6IcAAOSwrMxiOT-U

ebaySuper1.jpg.49ed570e6ac60cd138e015eceade77ad.jpg

ebaysuper2.jpg.30ff87b86d4135490885ec1c0a0a5622.jpg

ebaysuper3.jpg.578251a1d559ddc2d93700694892e07a.jpg

ebaysuper4.jpg.49679e60890aa4363562c8eec15cbbd9.jpg

ebaysuper6.jpg.65c2ae745e43be1c8ec168495d051768.jpg

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Agreed Neil. The interior seats are questionable, as well as the front carpet and trunk material. The color looks to be non original as well. Overall someone spent some good money to get the car to that point. They are good drivers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

Agreed Neil. The interior seats are questionable, as well as the front carpet and trunk material. The color looks to be non original as well. Overall someone spent some good money to get the car to that point. They are good drivers. 

Yes, I agree about the front carpet and the trunk material.  The front floor should have a rubber mat.  However, if you're just interested in a nice driver, that kind of upgrade really isn't a problem.  This kind of car always confounds me because it's obvious, as you say, that someone spent a lot of money on this car.  If you're going to spend that much (and you're not trying to build a "restomod" which this clearly is not), why not keep things completely correct?  This may be a car that was simply lavished with way too many expensive things to ever make sense in terms of resale value.  But considering the paint job and the interior (including things like a nicely recast steering wheel and refinished dash panels), I'm certain the asking price is well below the amount that's been spent.

After posting this, however, I went to the website of the dealer who's offering it and found a (to me) very odd video of the car driving up and down a parking lot.  Unlike the typical video posted by a dealer that features a "walk around" with the engine running and a short drive shifting through the gears from inside the car, this just shows it from a distance running in first gear.  Is it just me, or is this car making an odd sound?  The first gear whine is normal, but what's that other noise?  Anyhow, the video does not inspire confidence about the mechanical condition of the car, despite the very clean engine compartment photos.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

...The interior seats are questionable, as well as the front carpet and trunk material. The color looks to be non original as well. 

I'm not a 1941 Buick expert, but I know the era generally.

Den, I was thinking the same thing:  the upholstery looks

incorrect, and was Buick's maroon paint metallic for 1941?

If these major things are incorrect, people aren't willing to

pay even a normal price, much less a premium.

10 hours ago, neil morse said:

Yes, I agree about the front carpet and the trunk material.  The front floor should have a rubber mat.  However, if you're just interested in a nice driver, that kind of upgrade really isn't a problem.  This kind of car always confounds me because it's obvious, as you say, that someone spent a lot of money on this car.  If you're going to spend that much (and you're not trying to build a "restomod" which this clearly is not), why not keep things completely correct?  This may be a car that was simply lavished with way too many expensive things to ever make sense in terms of resale value.  But considering the paint job and the interior (including things like a nicely recast steering wheel and refinished dash panels), I'm certain the asking price is well below the amount that's been spent.

After posting this, however, I went to the website of the dealer who's offering it and found a (to me) very odd video of the car driving up and down a parking lot.  Unlike the typical video posted by a dealer that features a "walk around" with the engine running and a short drive shifting through the gears from inside the car, this just shows it from a distance running in first gear.  Is it just me, or is this car making an odd sound?  The first gear whine is normal, but what's that other noise?  Anyhow, the video does not inspire confidence about the mechanical condition of the car, despite the very clean engine compartment photos.

Yes, even from the distance down the road you can hear all sorts of noises. Maybe a hole in the manifold as well as a transmission issue? I don’t know from here, but these cars are usually whisper quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard something in the video but I don't think we can really accurately discern what that is from a cell phone video. A buyer is getting a lot of car here especially items not scrutinized too much like the wood grained dash and door window surrounds, turned metal dash panels on the dash face, recast steering wheel and the chrome on the door panels.  Unfortunately 27K is a reach for a four door sedan. But as said earlier you could not restore this car for 27 grand  If you're a buyer you really should go out and see the car in person and then evaluate it. I had a red car with that sort of metallic paint.  I took my time and detailed it and I was blown away how the paint POPPED in the sun light.  I don't know that any non metallic paint could match it. I turned around and sold the car but it was the most gratifying car I had ever detailed! For what we see in the photos the incorrectness could be or maybe should be overlooked for the quality and detail of the restoration.

4 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Metallic paints were common in the industry in 1941, but they used fine metal flakes in lesser loadings.  This looks like a modern maroon - but still attractive.

Yeah, I think they were trying here to match the factory color "Royal Maroon," which I believe was offered in both a metallic and non-metallic.  However, as you say, the '41 version of metallic had just a slight sheen to it, not like a modern paint.

• neil morse changed the title to '41 Buick Super Sedan on Ebay, price reduced to $24,700