San Diego Gas Tank Liner 1955 Packard

Packardfan84

I have used the GAS TANK RENU service, and since back in 2006 I am pleased with the results.

Mine was done in Pennsylvania, but this is a national outfit with local suppliers.

There is one in your area, but I don't personally know them since I'm in New Orleans.

You may wish to contact members of the Fallbrook or San Diego AACA Regions:

https://orozcosautoservice.com/562-920-1871-gas-tank-repair-san-diego-california/

Depending on the condition of your existing tank, it might be worth look into new reproduction.

Interestingly perhaps, but on my first visit to US in ‘84, I bought a beautiful ‘55 400 here in SoCal and drove it (nearly 3000 miles in 4 days) to Baltimore, MD and had it shipped to Europe, where I drove/enjoyed it for almost a year.
Great car, great memories.

It’s turquoise and white color combo made it the most amazing unexpected/unsolicited female companionship magnet I’ve ever owned.

Almost every drive (in Europe) lead to some new and exciting encounter, but definitely made the mid year season of 1985 a summer of love.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replys guys! I just spoke with the Renu vendor in Los Angeles and to do the Renu process.      ( dip, sandblast, coat etc...) 

It will cost $950!!!! They do offer just a really good cleaning  for $375 they keep it dipped for a couple days.  A new gas tank costs around $500 I think. 

I would vote for the new tank every time, if one is available. My tank was ruined when a company which specializes in "lining" them (or whatever term you prefer), baked it, causing it to warp terribly. And since it is exposed visually when installed, I simply gave up and paid to have a new one custom made. 

Your original tank lasted for decades, before needing replaced. Likely your reproduction tank will perform nearly as well. Wonderful insurance and peace of mind! 

• Like 1

Hey guys, so I took the task off yesterday. The outside looks worse than the inside. The inside actually doesn't look too bad in my opinion what do you think? 

I think I might just rinse it out really well and just let it be. I will wire wheel the outside, spray it with some rust inhibitor and top coat and add missing flex hose for vent.  

What should I clean it out with since I don't want to recoat and when I refill should I put some oil in the gas to kinda coat the tank?

Thanks guys.

20220622_200050.jpg

20220622_200100.jpg

20220622_200112.jpg

20220622_201724.jpg

20220622_201007.jpg

20220622_201027.jpg

20220622_201319.jpg

I would clean up the outside and repaint and  just rinse the inside with fuel, shake it around, and drain.  From what I see, there is no reason to send this off to a professional and I would certainly not “coat” the inside with anything.

Joe

• Like 1