Chrysler records 1928

31 LaSalle

I have a 1928 Chrysler series 72 convertible coupe

which I am told is a one year only build. July  ( 1927 to July 1928 )

I purchased the car form a deceased estate who owned the car for 30 years

during which time he undertook the restoration work completing 95% of this.

as is the case with lots cars the paperwork has been lost/misplaced including the remaining 5% of parts to finish

the car is right hand drive with speedo in km I am based in the uk where there are very few of this car  

don't know of any of this specific model I am very keen to trace its history especially country of origin

three months ago I applied to Chrysler / stellates' records they have just replied today with the bad news that there are no records for this model year I am very disappointed in this as I feel its now a dead end

UNLESS SOME ONE ON THIS FORUM CAN HELP I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL FOR ANY INFORMATION 

NO MATER HOW SMALL

THANK YOU 

JOHN

6 hours ago, richasco said:

This chart should give you a better idea when you car was built.

A1B69D9D-4DFF-4ECE-8BB3-D27DA7CB4B10.jpeg

thank you for the chart this confirms the year of my car as January 1928

my fedco number is cc422L the chart does not show what the last three numbers mean

thank you once again for your help

John

2 minutes ago, 31 LaSalle said:

thank you for the chart this confirms the year of my car as January 1928

my fedco number is cc422L the chart does not show what the last three numbers mean

thank you once again for your help

John

I have an explanation of the FedCo numbers at https://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin Basically the "L" is a code for "7" and the whole FedCo number is just a sequential serial number with a fancy encoding. Here is what my lookup/decode tool on that page gives for your number:

Serial Number CC-422-L
Found in range CW-000-P to CR-838-L
Serial 24227 of 48387
Year 1927-28
Make Chrysler
Model Name 72
Model Code J
Plant Detroit
Engine 6 cylinder 248.9 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase 118 3/4 inches
FedCo Number CC-422-L
  • Like 2

The Standard Catalog says there were 1729 1928 Chrysler 72 convertible coupes built. I think it reasonable to assume any right hand drive examples of less common body styles would have been special order only. I don't know of any of your model here in NZ. 

At least for Chrysler most of the production records exist. For Studebaker there are detailed records surviving for pre 1935 cars, only model totals. My 1929 cabriolet (non folding top) is the only known surviving right hand drive example - one of two imported to NZ by the agent. As its golf bag door is on the right I guess they did not do a right hand drive (left side door) body section. I think it reasonable to assume that there may have been less than 1,000 built total in left hand drive as there is only one known restored left hand drive survivor. There may be the odd one put away somewhere.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The Standard Catalog says there were 1729 1928 Chrysler 72 convertible coupes built. I think it reasonable to assume any right hand drive examples of less common body styles would have been special order only. I don't know of any of your model here in NZ. 

At least for Chrysler most of the production records exist. For Studebaker there are detailed records surviving for pre 1935 cars, only model totals. My 1929 cabriolet (non folding top) is the only known surviving right hand drive example - one of two imported to NZ by the agent. As its golf bag door is on the right I guess they did not do a right hand drive (left side door) body section. I think it reasonable to assume that there may have been less than 1,000 built total in left hand drive as there is only one known restored left hand drive survivor. There may be the odd one put away somewhere.

HI thank you so much for the information

my golf bag door is on the right is that the correct position

the only difference on my car compared to pictures of others on the internet is my windscreen slopes back

JOHN

car1.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 31 LaSalle said:

HI thank you so much for the information

my golf bag door is on the right is that the correct position

the only difference on my car compared to pictures of others on the internet is my windscreen slopes back

JOHN

car1.jpg

That doesn't look like a factory Chrysler body. The sloped windscreen (I use that term when referring to or corresponding with 'British' people, and windshield for Americans - 😉) suggests a later date to me.  Maybe a much more recent build?   There may be other clues - a coachbuilder's plate maybe? I notice it doesn't have cowl lamps - I presume it has park lamps incorporated in the head lamps?

Your car looks to be riding quite high at the rear. I wonder if it was originally a sedan and has stiffer than necessary rear springs. I know that most factories supplied body-type-specific rated springs.

Re the golf bag door - to me if the car has right hand drive the door should be on the left - the side on the kerb where you unload your clubs, or whatever else you car carrying in there.

One of the few times we have actually used the golf bag door on my Studebaker was during its 400 mile delivery trip home in 2020. My son had his tool kit in there. Not an ideal place when doing road side repairs. The body is correct and original. The car's history is known from the day it arrived in NZ. I think the car had one of the nicest 'derrieres' of any car of the era.

IMG_0471 (2) resize.JPG

vauxnut Flickr vcc coffee and cars 150821 r resize.jpg

• Like 2

This photo of my Studebaker was from when it was advertised for sale and I think shows its derriere to good advantage. 

One feature it reminds me of is the rumble seat steps, which on a right hand drive car should be on the left side. Does the Chrysler have them? Or perhaps it has no rumble seat - sorry 'dickie' seat - 😁

The Stude should have a rumble seat but it has not been fitted. I prefer it without as the trunk space is limited. 

1269556281 (2).jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

This photo of my Studebaker was from when it was advertised for sale and I think shows its derriere to good advantage. 

One feature it reminds me of is the rumble seat steps, which on a right hand drive car should be on the left side. Does the Chrysler have them? Or perhaps it has no rumble seat - sorry 'dickie' seat - 😁

The Stude should have a rumble seat but it has not been fitted. I prefer it without as the trunk space is limited. 

1269556281 (2).jpg

HI nzcarnerd

thanks for the input into my post. all information and opinions are greatly received

car defiantly has never been a sedan. as to your thought on position of golf door and rumble seat steps that's a good point

it is something that I will look into

love your car I enclose a picture of my car taken in 2002 at the start of restoration and one showing rumble seat

Job 27 Chrysler 72 pic 2.jpg

mtxk1AWG9VenR43Hq2aK8YnwPucmJdXkQOZr4o4n.jpg

2 hours ago, ipeeforward said:

My RHD 75 has a golf door on the right same as 31 LaSalle’s but rumble steps on the left. Original Locke body.

Which confirms my theory that usually because of the small number of right hand drive examples built the factory did not do a special left side golf bag door body. It is easy enough to swap the rumble seat step plates around though.

5 hours ago, 31 LaSalle said:

HI nzcarnerd

thanks for the input into my post. all information and opinions are greatly received

car defiantly has never been a sedan. as to your thought on position of golf door and rumble seat steps that's a good point

it is something that I will look into

love your car I enclose a picture of my car taken in 2002 at the start of restoration and one showing rumble seat

Job 27 Chrysler 72 pic 2.jpg

mtxk1AWG9VenR43Hq2aK8YnwPucmJdXkQOZr4o4n.jpg

So the origins of your car's body remain a mystery. There are and have been any number of coachbuilders working all over the world  - most medium sized towns had at least one - and if they have not left their mark on this one finding its history may prove impossible.

• Thanks 1

Hi John,

I found a photo in my late fathers album of a 1930 Chrysler 77 that came into the garage he was working at in the U.K in 1958. Although the rear of the car is different from yours the windscreen and doors including the 3 hinges look very similar. Unfortunately I have no further information on the car other than it was the catalyst for him buying the 75 I still have.

6AD32BA5-777D-4C00-B1FE-704B6EA0E98E.jpeg

• Thanks 1