1910 Flanders 20 information wanted

Arty Condito

I'm trying to find any info for a Flanders 20 1910. I would like to know how coil box is wired to mag and other connections to it and the coil box says mag or batt did it have a battery and if so where was it stored? is the item in the coil box a coil and if so does it look complete I don't see any points also at the bottom side of box I see 3 connections but no wires to them should it be wired and if so to what ? thanks so much for any help if possible, the car has not run for 60 years and I just don't know much about it

Flanders 1.jpg

coil 1.jpg

coil 2.jpg

mag1.jpg

Here is a wiring diagram and an explanation of the system from a period book.  The firing order is the same as a Model T Ford, 1-2-4-3.  The low tension Splitdorf magneto (mine is a Model F) sends a low voltage AC signal to the coil box, which steps up the voltage and sends it back out to the distributor part of the magneto for distribution to the spark plugs.

The original battery would have been a wooden box under the seat (or maybe in a metal box on the running board) with four 1.5 volt dry cells wired in series to give 6 volts.  Note that neither battery terminal is grounded to the chassis, this is important!  Both battery leads go to the coil box.  Do not ground the battery to the chassis!  The person that rebuilt my coil box with a modern coil and condenser (R.V. Anderson, RIP) told me to use a 12V lead-acid lawn tractor battery in place of the dry cells.  My 1912 runs fine on battery or magneto.

diagram_on_magneto.jpg

page_152.jpg

page_153.jpg

page_154.jpg

battery_box_02.JPG

replica_phone_battery.jpg

IMG_9358.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Arty Condito changed the title to 1910 Flanders 20 information wanted

By the way, you may notice the fan belt on my car.  The Illustrated parts manual shows a linked leather belt.  Don't bother trying to find a continuous belt that will fit over the fan and still be short enough to be set to the proper tension, you must be able to separate the belt and re-link it after it is fitted over the pulleys.  I found the 3/4 inch wide leather strapping and belt links on Ebay.  :)

awesome I haven't tried to work too hard on running the Flanders I've mainly been working on the Maxwell Runabout it seems to run pretty good but now I'm trying to find an emergency brake pedal and working on top hardware for both cars I'm sure I'll have a zillion more questions on the Flanders thanks again for all your help. By the way can't find any storage for batteries, under front seat is full of gas tank maybe under back seat?

The battery fits under the seat on my Runabout, but I wanted a tool box anyway, so I put a wanted ad on the MTFCA classifieds and someone there offered this one.  I had to shorten the box by two inches because it was too tall to allow the car's door to pass over it.  I didn't want to drill more holes in my running board, so I bought a junky running board luggage rack, cut off the clamp-on mounting brackets, and bolted them to the bottom of the box.

The Flanders illustrated parts manual shows that some cars came with a metal box on the running board for the batteries.  It looks nearly identical to the one I found for my car (minus the clamps).  :)

IMG_8281.JPG

IMG_8285.JPG

IMG_8293.JPG

IMG_8307.JPG

• Like 2

I have the(a)  small running board box for a Battery or for vintage size (3 or 4) modern dry cell no.6 reproduction ignition/telephone batteries if you need a box?

50. Bucks

Plus shipping

14-3/4 wide,x 9-1\4" tall X 7-3/4" wide.

0618220016.jpg