French (?) car allegedly involved in a speeding incident in Toronto, Canada, circa 1906

Fortren

If the speeding offence occurred in 1906, I think the car is anywhere between 6 and 10 years old at the time.  The steering lever is reminiscent of de Dion Bouton vehicles of the late 1890's and the cylindrical tank strapped to the dash board was something Benz did during the same time period.  To my eye though, the body looks more North American.  What is the purpose of the crank? Is the engine out front under the cow catcher or is it used to secure the catcher to the car?  The seat behind the driver looks like a pretty precarious perch to me!  I'm going to go (way out) on a limb and say it is the product of some enterprising soul in Toronto who built his own car.  It is possible.

I think the front sheet metal is simply an attempt to make something simple to cover engine while allowing sufficient cooling air and perhaps a bit of streamlining. N0thing to do with the cow catcher notion, this thing probably didn't go fast enough to hit anything, and it's flimsy shape would never withstand hitting a cow or anything else of size. Likely an air cooled engine, and crank is most likely part of the crank-start system, no otherwise visible method of starting.  The rear seats are obviously for small children. been trying to figure drivetrain system. Assuming rear wheel drive, axle and tube very small diameter, no sign of central differential. Also don't see any elements of front steering but must be out of sight. I agree the rather unsophisticated nature of the build suggests perhaps pre-1900, and may have started from a buggy chassis. It is also possible this was an early Selden patent attempt, with the engine driving the front wheels and the entire front assembly (wheels and engine) steerable by means of a pivot below the steering column, much like horse and buggy days. Having said all that, the 2 dudes have a very haughty look, proud of their means of transport! Fortren (original poster), can you shed more light on the "alleged speeding incident", and why you think car may be of "French" origin?

Selden Patent auto pre 1900.webp

Edited by Gunsmoke
added info and photo (see edit history)

I think the steering handle and strap mounted tank are both de Dion Bouton rip offs which account for the French thought.  I see nothing remotely resembling brakes on the very light rear axle.  Also very light rear springs.  If it had centre pivot steering how would the crank work?  I think the engine is fixed to the front of the car and drives the front wheels.  Are those leather/rubber boots at the outer ends of the front axle?  

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the late reply.

The caption below the photo, found in the February 1924 issue of the Canadian monthly L'Automobile au Canada (page 336) read, in translation: One of the first cars seen in Toronto. It had been imported from France. For having driven twelve miles an hour on Spadina Avenue, its owner was arrested. It was in 1906.

BTW, a number of issues of that magazine can be found at https://www.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.8_06852