Crack in Upper Grill bar (moustache) 55 Buick Special (Muggy Welding)

M1842

So I have a very nice looking upper grill bar that gax a crack in the back end, probaby 12-14" long.  Will this crack through to the front eventually?  Should it be repaired?  How would you go about fixing it, muggy weld? Something else?

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by M1842 (see edit history)

Made to attempts with the muggy weld, first didn't stick. My fault,  I didn't prepare the .surface.  second attempt after cleaning was more successful.  Looks like I need to go back one more time to close up some small holes.  Wasn't pretty and used most of a  entire stick of welding rod.  Overall, easy to use, short learning curve.  Hope it stabilizes the crack so it won't keep getting longer. 

20220611_140535.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Propane torch, apply Flux to cleaned area, apply heat around the Flux until it turns brown.  Apply rod to Crack and let the metal melt the rod.  No direct flame on the rod.  The rod melts at 350f half the melting point of pot metal.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

It looks better for sure.

Third try will be to fix remaining holes and then use finer sand paper.  I used files because I had built the patch too high.  I think with medium and fine sand papers I can get the surface a lot nicer 

• Like 3

• M1842 changed the title to Crack in Upper Grill bar (moustache) 55 Buick Special (Muggy Welding)