Need to identify vehicle make, model, and year with grandparent

kinetic125

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable regarding cars and I have visited many automotive museums and concours, but I absolutely cannot identify the vehicle in the picture.  My best guess is something American from 1925 +/- 10 years.

Can anyone out there help identifying the vehicle?

Thank you in advance.

--Tom

Image-1.jpg

• Like 1

It's right hand drive.....where was the photo taken? Looks like it's across the pond. When was your grandparent born? Add ten years for the age of him in the photo......that would be the time frame of the car.......which looks post WWI so I would say 1920 to 1926 on the car as a starting point. Fenders are unusual for the era....so it should be easy to identify.

• Like 2

WOW!  You guys are quick, thank you both.

Yes, it does appear to be a 1922-ish Fiat 501 Cabriolet.

What country would have required the use of front bumpers on the vehicle?

Does the license plate look European or American?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kinetic125 said:

WOW!  You guys are quick, thank you both.

Yes, it does appear to be a 1922-ish Fiat 501 Cabriolet.

What country would have required the use of front bumpers on the vehicle?

Does the license plate look European or American?

Looks to be a USA style plate.

• Like 2

Well there was American Fiat, and of course the better known one from Italy. Again, where and when was the photo taken? And would your family have the means to travel to Europe back then? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig Gillingham said:

I'd say this is a 510 FIAT; a side valve 6 cylinder. The 501 was a side valve 4 cylinder. The 510 was a larger and more expensive vehicle.

I am 99% sure it is a 501. The 510 was a much bigger car - this one is in NZ - 

21 OLVZSTN Fiat 510 at Olveston Dunedin.jpg

• Like 2

Fiat 501s were popular in NZ and quite a few have survived. These two are 501S models, and have added front wheel brakes. 

The car on the left has a rare period Silvani overhead valve conversion, one of only a handful surviving. It has worn that plate since 1964.

The other plate is an NZ personalised plate fitted to it in 2002.

I think in that era they were all right hand drive - even for the Italian market.

For those that don't know the engine in the 501 is a 1460 cc side valve four. Thye always went very well taking into account how small the engine is. Due to mostly mountainous nature of their home country the original gearbox had effectively three low gears and top. A, now late, friend of used it supply a different size internal gear wheel which would raise the ratios of the three lower gears. His 501, a 1920 car with a rare Italian factory body, had various mods, including a Silvani head, and would cruise comfortable at 55 mph with power to spare for passing.

22 Fiats at Auto Restorations 030621.jpg

Most 501s had painted radiators and two wheel brakes.

23 ON8726 Fiat 501 Tim Palmer hrb 1020 ccap.jpg