I just purchased a 1929 chevy International 2 door - questions (steering wheel, value, etc)

Reid M

I just purchased  a 1929 chevy International 2 door and my steering wheel is missing one of the wooden sections and either need that or a complete steering wheel..I haven't seen any wooden steering wheels..Any help would be appreciated.May be open to something that will work too.Also what might a car like this be worth..Non restored..6 cylinder that runs like a top..lights including park headlights and taillights and gauge lights work..Speedometer oil gauge and ammeter works. Drives great..3 speed...No rust other than surface rust..needs interior work..Also needs vinal top and bows...Original  but putts down the road.....thanks

Value depends a lot on the integrity of the structural wooden body framing.

I inherited a 1930 Chevy Special Sedan project from my father, which needs every stick of body framing replaced, plus all the other restoration stuff.

It ran and I drove it around the yard when my Dad and Uncle first brought it home in the late 1980s'.

There are folks out there who restore wooden steering wheels.

Good luck! 

De Soto Frank

• Thanks 1

I have quite a few of the three spoke steering wheel cores for 31-36 or so. It would do until you find a wheel. Depending on the condition somewhere from $10 to $30 plus shipping.  Send me a pm with your number and I can text you some photos if interested.

Dave

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to I just purchased a 1929 chevy International 2 door - questions (steering wheel, value, etc)

These cars are not in big demand these days, sedans (4dr and 2dr) are on the bottom of demand behind tourers, roadsters and pickups. As you may know, biggest market regrettably, if price is right, is hot rodders who want a low starting price for a build. I spent a number of years restoring this 1931 Chevrolet Coach as my first effort in the hobby. Went full frame off, spent perhaps $15,000 (hate to figure actual!) plus 1200 hours labour to get it to the stage of paint ready, and no interior work. Picked up a more interesting project in 2014, so although the Chevy was running nicely "as shown", decided to sell it in 2021. Asked $13,000, settled for Can$10,000 (about $7500USD). Guy who bought it was a painter body man, who could finish it on his own. So price point for what you have is solely dependent on finding a buyer. Not much sense in spending a lot fixing everything up unless you plan to keep it long term. From what you describe, I figure the value range "as is" is between  $5000-$8000. But you need to find a buyer.

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

• Like 2

I figured it's not worth alot..The guy wanted 8k but I ended up paying 5k us...But drove it home..I plan on fixing the small stuff and just driving it for fun. Runs and drives great..But thanks for the info..

• Like 4

There is also the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America, VCCA. They have a web site and Facebook page. There should be a GM or Chevrolet page here just scroll down some. \|/

On 5/18/2022 at 8:24 PM, Reid M said:

I just purchased  a 1929 chevy International 2 door and my steering wheel is missing one of the wooden sections and either need that or a complete steering wheel..I haven't seen any wooden steering wheels..Any help would be appreciated.May be open to something that will work too.Also what might a car like this be worth..Non restored..6 cylinder that runs like a top..lights including park headlights and taillights and gauge lights work..Speedometer oil gauge and ammeter works. Drives great..3 speed...No rust other than surface rust..needs interior work..Also needs vinal top and bows...Original  but putts down the road.....thanks

If you are needing just the wood part of the steering wheel, contact Stutzman Wheel Works in Baltic, Ohio.  The respoke wood wheels and do a great job.  They also make wood steering wheels.  Not that expensive, but top shelf work.

• Like 1

If I could get the one section I would be able to repair it myself..I thought about making one myself because another one is loose and may be able to copy it..But prefer not to...But thanks for the heads up...I appreciate any input and suggestions..Reid