Water pump removal

kwaka14

It wouldn't hurt but I think you'll want to double check the static timing per the MIM after you reinstall just to be sure it's correct.  My car has a distributor but I image it would also be very easy to lose timing with the magneto as well.

• Like 1

In removing the water pump you will have to disturb  the timing.  If you line up the timing marks properly (the dot on the pump gear between the two dots on the timing gear) when re-installing the pump there will only be two positions at 180 degrees available to reconnect the magneto.  If the drive disk is marked the correct position will be obvious.  This can be checked by bringing No 1 cylinder up to firing point and observing that the distribution disk in the magneto is pointing at the appropriate brush in the cap.  Another way is that at one position the car won't start - at the other it will.

• Like 1

I just removed my water on my 24 about a month ago.  I marked the shaft and also put vice grip jaws on the Shaft with the vice grip handles resting on the frame to hole the timing in place.  I made sure I did not turn the engine.  Removed water pump and replaced the flex disks and repaired the water pump.  Assemble back together, lining the shaft just as it was before and engine fired right back up.  This may not be clear but it worked for me without retiming.

• Thanks 1