1931 Buick radiator

1wonton

I sent my radiator to an advertised Honeycomb radiator company in New York after they said they could repair it.  They then tried to gouge me for a complete radiator re-core.  I asked them to send it back and they put it in a flimsy cardboard box with no protection.  When I received the radiator, it had been dropped on the upper tank, smashing it beyond repair.  They are trying to avoid taking any responsibility for this and are ignoring my calls.  If they continue to hide I will reveal the name of this company.  I do not intend to let them just get away with this but meanwhile I'm looking for a replacement.

• Like 2

I have run into that "I dont want to do that" pricing on old cars before too.

But you see that in all trades. They just do not want to turn down a job flat because they may get a future job they would do. However, if you do bite, the excess profit is worth it.

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

That is the "I do not want to do the work" price.  Every once in a while you run into that.

Then why would they pack it haphazardly to return it?  Sounds to me like they were miffed when their profit was snatched away. 

Yes, I believe that was their motivation.  I've called three times and spoke to "John" who asked me to send pictures of the damage and the shipping box, which I did.  He said he would call me right back, which of course he never did.  I called again today and asked to speak with the owner who "John" said was out of town until next Monday and that he would deliver my message.  "John" said this was not their problem and blamed UPS for the damage.  I explained it was their duty to return my radiator in the same condition it was in when I sent it.  If they had only used the secure packing I used to send it it would have arrived back in good shape.  Instead they just threw it a thin cardboard box with three small loose chunks of broken foam.  The radiator was flopping around in the box when I received it, one side of the frame was bent and the filler tube at the top (and radiator cap) was jammed down into the crushed upper tank.  No padding or protection of any kind was used to secure the radiator or protect the top.  Although the cardboard did not look damaged it looked like the radiator had been dropped from some height, enough to drive the filler tube about 2' below the outer frame.  Their website extolls the care and experience they have in restoring all types of radiators including classic cars.  This is not an old beat up car but a recognized classic and we are doing a complete restoration on it.  If I could find another radiator then we could work with that, otherwise what to do?

• Like 1