Chrysler? sedan

nzcarnerd

3 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Fellows,

The car in question is a 1931 DeSoto CF-8*, they didn't make many and they didn't export any to New Zealand.

u3360.jpg

My book says that about 25,000 CF cars were built but maybe only about 4,000 had the ribbon radiator. It is odd that DeSoto went back to that when Chrysler and Plymouth had dropped it.

It is likely that none of the later series cars came to NZ as the dealers were probably trying to clear the older models. As an aside Ford in NZ didn't import any 1931 Model As (the ones with the painted part on the radiator shell). I have heard it took until 1934 to sell the last of the 1930 cars. 

There were certainly a few of the earlier CFs imported, although how many I don't know. This one was first registered in March of 1931 - 

31 AT6521 CF8 Brertt Richardson photo 0516.jpg

Another aside - an acquaintance of mine, who unfortunately passed away suddenly a week or so ago at only 67, built up this speedster in the 1980s using a mix of Chrysler bits. I think the engine is a Dodge 8. He lived only about 15 minutes drive away and I had been meaning to get back to him about another Chrysler related subject for a couple of years and didn't do it. A bit late now I guess.

IMG_0891 resize.JPG

One thing you cannot really go by as far as whats correct on exports, or at least in the handle world over the past 45 years selling handles is the manufactures just threw in the leftovers from previous years productions to export, so a 1929 Buick in Australia may have 1928 Buick handles on them, (Example) they may have had thousands of excess parts so they filled crates of the last year parts and shipped them abroad. So might be why the Ribbon Radiator was re-used on the Desoto models as to complete production? I know Walter Chrysler was a smart guy when he bought out Dodge Brothers in 28 my Underside of my 1933 Dodge Coupe still has all the bolts stamped DB so he was using up excess Dodge Brothers hardware up into my 1933 could be same on the Export Radiator Ribbons? 
Cheers

• Like 1