Westinghouse Air Spring Option

Ittenbacher Frank

This is the Dougherty Museum You Tube presentation. Watch it all or if you are only interested in the Locomobile 48, go to 22 minutes. Just before is a Rolls Royce and just after the Locomobile is a Pierce-Arrow. If you are ever in the greater Denver Colorado area, it looks like a quality Museum to visit.

Al

If we could spend several days at the Bridgeport Public Library, that kind of information is probably buried in the archives and we could know for sure. It does make sense to me, as these are custom built automobiles, that Westinghouse shocks could have been on the original order which would mean "factory installed". Oh course, this is my thinking 100 years after the fact.

Al

On 5/5/2023 at 12:29 AM, alsfarms said:

This is the Dougherty Museum You Tube presentation. Watch it all or if you are only interested in the Locomobile 48, go to 22 minutes. Just before is a Rolls Royce and just after the Locomobile is a Pierce-Arrow. If you are ever in the greater Denver Colorado area, it looks like a quality Museum to visit.

Al

Dear Tavernstand 1734 and Alan, thanks a lot for this link to the video. Very nice presentation. I have some questions, will try to contact these people.

See the side view and some deatils of that Locomobile, taken from the video:

loco 7.jpg

loco 8.jpg

loco 13.jpg

loco 15.jpg

loco 18.jpg

loco 19.jpg

loco 20.jpg

loco 21.jpg

loco 23.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 5:37 PM, Tavernstand1734 said:

Believe this car as pictured to still be located in the Dougherty Museum - Longmont, Colorado.  Just North of Boulder, CO.

Woe, what is that Red Beast of a machine?

JR

This may be of interest to anyone reading here about air shocks. I borrowed this picture from a current ad posted on the HCCA "Parts for Sale" listings. It is for a set of 4 Gruss air shocks. Take a look and maybe incorporate these on your unrestored Locomobile 48 or 38 project. Hmmm, it makes me think....

Al

image.png.50fe4913828c3dda8c5f6e7809d97274.png

• 2 weeks later...

For your information: I spoke to Doug Dougherty today. A kind and knowledgeable person who drove his Loco at least 3 times for weddings. He has owned it since 1980. There are three name plates on the body (1 left, 1 right, 1 under the hood), showing the manufacturer "Hume body corporation Boston".

IMG_1671.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have these air springs on my Packard 1919 (December) Imperial limousine which is nearing completion of a major restoration. Thanks for the tips about NOT overfilling with air! Also you must free them by bouncing on a suitable part of the frame, if your car has sat still for a few months or years, before pumping them up with air, otherwise you might overfill them!

I wrote an article (with a bit of help from the editor) in the Horseless Carriage Gazette Vol 76 No. 4 (July 2014) about dismantling and rebuilding these with working seals. Most of what was in the maintenance leaflet was in the article. Hope this helps those a little who'd like to use them and not bang their tires against their fender undersides on rough roads, as these get rougher and rougher!

IMG_3335.jpeg

On 7/11/2023 at 5:04 PM, Jonathan Reeve said:

I have these air springs on my Packard 1919 (December) Imperial limousine which is nearing completion of a major restoration. Thanks for the tips about NOT overfilling with air! Also you must free them by bouncing on a suitable part of the frame, if your car has sat still for a few months or years, before pumping them up with air, otherwise you might overfill them!

I wrote an article (with a bit of help from the editor) in the Horseless Carriage Gazette Vol 76 No. 4 (July 2014) about dismantling and rebuilding these with working seals. Most of what was in the maintenance leaflet was in the article. Hope this helps those a little who'd like to use them and not bang their tires against their fender undersides on rough roads, as these get rougher and rougher!

IMG_3335.jpeg

Thanks for your note, Jonathan! I know your 2014 article, it gave me much support, and still you will have surprises when you work on them.

May I ask: what series and what patent years are shown on the four name plates on these Westinghouse units?

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)

I think you'd better read the details for yourself, but as far as I can see the Airsprings are series 14 - so perhaps cannot have been earlier than 1920? - and the patents run up to 1916. I also uploaded another image of the airspring with its two side oilers that release oil into the space round the piston on the downstroke. I don't think the front perforated vent does anything, correct me if I'm wrong, Frank!IMG_3456.jpeg.a4983ac5d14f4feb1c2fcc23162640bc.jpeg

IMG_3458.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan Reeve
to answer Frank's questions correctly (see edit history)

Anyone with Westinghouse shocks troubled by low speed wheel wobble needs to get hold of Andy Plummer's article in the British Veteran Car Club's Gazette number 397 (June 2021). Although Andy did not have airsprings on his Wolseley 24/30 he had severe wobble associated with fitting a lighter touring body, which made for a 1 degree reduction in steering caster as the rear springs raised the chassis at the back (this was why Packard specified different rear springs for each of their Twin-six body types). Andy's research led him to track down Dr Fred Lanchester's paper read to the British Institution of Automobile Engineers in 1928 and published in their Proceedings that helped him analyse his problem. Andy ended up tilting the front axle forward with wedges so restoring caster to -2 degrees and increasing trail by a factor of 3-4 fold, back to what it would have been with a limousine body. Those of us with airsprings (functioning or otherwise) and unsatisfactory steering need to think about caster and trail, which are affected by how much air is pumped into the front (and rear) airsprings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Reeve said:

Anyone with Westinghouse shocks troubled by low speed wheel wobble needs to get hold of Andy Plummer's article in the British Veteran Car Club's Gazette number 397 (June 2021). Although Andy did not have airsprings on his Wolseley 24/30 he had severe wobble associated with fitting a lighter touring body, which made for a 1 degree reduction in steering caster as the rear springs raised the chassis at the back (this was why Packard specified different rear springs for each of their Twin-six body types). Andy's research led him to track down Dr Fred Lanchester's paper read to the British Institution of Automobile Engineers in 1928 and published in their Proceedings that helped him analyse his problem. Andy ended up tilting the front axle forward with wedges so restoring caster to -2 degrees and increasing trail by a factor of 3-4 fold, back to what it would have been with a limousine body. Those of us with airsprings (functioning or otherwise) and unsatisfactory steering need to think about caster and trail, which are affected by how much air is pumped into the front (and rear) airsprings.

Absolutely true what you are describing! I didn't experienced wobble but found the riding height influencing the steering a lot, see my experience on the second page of this topic, dated April 19, 2022. Thanks.

23 hours ago, Jonathan Reeve said:

I think you'd better read the details for yourself, but as far as I can see the Airsprings are series 14 - so perhaps cannot have been earlier than 1920? - and the patents run up to 1916. I also uploaded another image of the airspring with its two side oilers that release oil into the space round the piston on the downstroke. I don't think the front perforated vent does anything, correct me if I'm wrong, Frank!IMG_3456.jpeg.a4983ac5d14f4feb1c2fcc23162640bc.jpeg

IMG_3458.jpeg

Thanks a lot, Jonathan.

1. I read Series 14, same as on mine, and the latest patent Oct. 29, 1918. That would match with your Packards built date: You said it's a Dec. 1919 car? Do you have reason to believe or do you a confirmation that your car was deleivered with these springs already?

I am now quite sure my Loco was delivered without and upgraded in the period of 1919-1921, not later. Air springs, 35" wheels instead of 37", the crankshaft damper, the Berling magneto instead of the Bosch. Several indications for that. A later date of modification would probably have resulted in baloon tires on 20" rims (then maybe without air springs) and a twin distributor coil ignition?

2. I have not figured out the purpose and function of that breather because I can't observe it while driving 🙂

According to this drawing, it seems to be only a breather for the change in volume if the outer piston moves up and down.

10 (2).jpg

Thanks Frank. I was told by Packard expert Howard Schaevitz that Packard disapproved of the fitting of Airsprings so they would never have been fitted by Packard. My 3-35 was owned by Mr and Mrs John Marshall Slaton for as long as they lived (ex Georgia Governor Slaton lived until 1955). So your question becomes did Westinghouse have an Airspring fitting station in Atlanta where they spent the rest of their lives? I discovered that Houston Street where it was located (see your earlier post) has been renamed John Wesley Dobbs and it looks like a car park has replaced the Westinghouse facility. Despite Packard's reported disapproval, 30% of the surviving fixed head Twin Sixes on packardsonline.com appear to have airsprings, but only one touring is so equipped. Mrs Sally Slaton was a founding member of the Daughters of the American Revolution Atlanta chapter (the second oldest in the Union) so would have needed to get around for meetings, both of the DAR and also of the American Red Cross, both organisations sharing the same founder (Clara Barton). The Red Cross sent ex Governor Slaton to Romania in 1917 from where all the French (who had a Military Mission in Jassy) and American Red Cross civilians had to make a rapid escape together by train through Russia (as Lenin made peace with Germany) during its civil war. The Slatons were eventually re-united after the Jassy escapees reached England via Murmansk (then in northern Finland) after a hair-raising rail journey reported in the Red Cross Magazine. The Packard purchase followed. Slaton was later made a chevalier (knight) of the French Legion d'Honneur in 1935, a singular honour for a foreigner implying he had been a hero in Romania - but I have yet to discover the citation. 

Edited by Jonathan Reeve
to answer correctly Frank's questions (see edit history)

On 7/14/2023 at 5:50 PM, Ittenbacher Frank said:

Thanks a lot, Jonathan.

1. I read Series 14, same as on mine, and the latest patent Oct. 29, 1918. That would match with your Packards built date: You said it's a Dec. 1919 car? Do you have reason to believe or do you a confirmation that your car was deleivered with these springs already?

I am now quite sure my Loco was delivered without and upgraded in the period of 1919-1921, not later. Air springs, 35" wheels instead of 37", the crankshaft damper, the Berling magneto instead of the Bosch. Several indications for that. A later date of modification would probably have resulted in baloon tires on 20" rims (then maybe without air springs) and a twin distributor coil ignition?

2. I have not figured out the purpose and function of that breather because I can't observe it while driving 🙂

According to this drawing, it seems to be only a breather for the change in volume if the outer piston moves up and down.

10 (2).jpg

Frank, as mentioned earlier my breather E is non-functional; but this means that lubricant gets sucked in instead of air when the outer piston moves down if (as in the case of my series 14s) there are lubricators connected to the same space as breather E in the diagram. Thanks for helping me understand that mystery! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have now travelled 10 miles at up to 30 mph on sealed but somewhat rough two lane roads to get my Packard third series Twin six (pictured previously) tested by the authorities. It passed its test and here are my preliminary and subjective observations on the ride quality delivered by my restored Mk 14 Air Springs on this first outing. Compared to my slightly lighter second series T6 touring fitted with Gabriels, the ride was somewhat but not massively softer and a little firmer than on my 1938 Packard super 8 touring sedan with its balloon tyres at 35 lbs instead of the T6's 65-75. The car was very reassuringly controllable and responsive; we had made sure it had the correct castor at the front axle by ensuring the Westinghouse instructions for filling the air springs with air and shock absorber oil were followed exactly. At the end of the journey I had to make a sharp right turn into the garage; the Packard was left with a very few degrees of lean (perhaps 5?) to the left. For those who remember their school physics, this simply reminded us that the static coefficient of friction is usually higher than the dynamic coefficient. There appeared to be a very small oil leak from one rear shock.  The steering effort was similar to that on the second series and there was no tendency of the car to wander; on the contrary it ran true. I could report on my longer experience later in the summer if there is interest. I shall use it in local meets and the VSCC 90th anniversary gathering in August. Good luck to all who venture to restore their Air Shocks! I am glad I did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Dear Jonathan, any news on your air springs? Still working well? I changed oil once more on mine and they hold pressure quite well. When one of the rear springs was slightly leaking (half of an inch after a week), I found the big seal under the filling valve not properly tightened, that was all.