setting initial timing on rebuilt engine

lhend50

Hi, just got my 1940 320 motor back from having a new set of lifter put in and cam checked. My timing marks are within the window on the bell housing. What cylinder should the distributor be pointing toward. I though number one, but it is pointing at number 8. 

Thanks

You have to go by the valve action to see if it's 1 or 8.    The one on compression has no valve movement for the last almost half a rotation. The one on the "dead" cycle is just closing the ex and opening the intake. 

• Like 3

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the stock setting is for the timing mark to be in the window when number 1 is at top dead center.  However, there are six different ways the flywheel can be bolted on.  If someone took the flywheel off your car and put it back on in a different position, a different cylinder will be at TDC.  So you will need to turn the crank manually to see which cylinder is actually at TDC when the mark is in the window.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lhend50 said:

Are you saying it can be set to 1 or 8?

Pay attention to what Neil said above. Flywheel may NOT be where you think it is. And Yes, you can time to either 1 or 8. 

Either  1 or 8, but you have to choose the correct number or you will be out 180° and it will never start.😉  

So turn the flywheel (crankshaft) and make sure which cylinder is at TDC when the timing mark is at "O".

Another hint is to set the timing pointer to what the shop manual says is right (after making sure what cylinder is ready to fire and having the rotor point at the proper tower on the distributor cap) turn the distributor slightly to close the points and rotate the distributor in the opposite direction the rotor turns normally and stop turning the distributor at the moment the points open. Should be close enough to start. I think I wrote this right, corrections accepted.😉

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 4:29 PM, lhend50 said:

Hi, just got my 1940 320 motor back from having a new set of lifter put in and cam checked. My timing marks are within the window on the bell housing. What cylinder should the distributor be pointing toward. I though number one, but it is pointing at number 8. 

Thanks

You are golden. If the rotor is pointing at 8 then turn the engine some more until the timing marks on the flywheel are visible again, it will be pointing at 1. The flywheel goes around twice for every cycle of the engine. 

• Thanks 1