3 G cell signals are being cancelled. Does it affect your Buick ?

Bill Stoneberg

With the advent of 5 G wireless cell signal, the vendors are phasing out 3G.

3 G is used on GM cars including Buicks.

From GM..

The 3G network shutdown impacts services in which you need to speak to an OnStar Advisor through the vehicle or the Advisor needs to speak to you in the vehicle. Automatic Crash Response alerts are still operational. GM started pushing over-the-air updates to affected models so that they can work on LTE networks. No hardware installation is required.

So it looks like I wont have to do anything to my Lucerne, but be aware that this is happening.

We got a letter for our 2013.  Supposedly they will be sending us a device to plug into the diagnostic port on the car, which will then upgrade the signal to the 5g status.  In the process, some functions of the entertainment computer programs will be lost, but nothing that impacts the vehicles performance.  If the user plugs in the device and communicates that with someone ( Onstar, I think, we did get the letter a few months ago and haven't heard a word since)  then the device is free.  If the user returns the device then there is no charge.  If the user keeps the device but does not report it then they think they can get you to pay $99.00 for the unit.   At any rate they will send you a bill for it.  

Really makes me want to just go back to my trusty 92 Wagon more.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When analog was replaced by digital, they complete communications unit for OnStar had to be replaced, which I seem to remember was under the vehicle warranty.  Apparently, my 2005 LeSabre was not updated by any of the prior owners as when I punch the call button on the mirror, it just rings and rings and rings.  There used to be complete stand-alone OnStar accessory units which were available at BestBuy or similar.

I suspect the new upgrades will only be to "4GLTE" rather than to full 5G.  Reason is the issues with the 5G signal getting everywhere, as the current 4GLTE signals will.  "4GLTE" is 4th Generation Long Term Evolution and will be around for at least another decade (as I understand it).  For the full expansion of the 5G situation, the former 3G signal frequency spectrum is needed to do this.

Perhaps there might be an APP which will use the cell phone's accelerometer and other sensors to sense a moving vehicle which crashes so the automatic "SOS" signal (as OnStar) is sent?  Then, just need an appropriate fixture to place your cell phone in while driving (using handsfree communications, of course).

Kind of interesting that they would not have the customer return to the dealer to "reflash" the system rather than using a plug-in adapter to do it?  Which kind of sounds like, to me, one of those magic ALDL plug-in devices to improve fuel economy and such, FWIW.  On the other hand, how is a reflash going to change the signal transmission characteristics of the transmitter?  IF that was possible, why would a current 3G cell phone not be able to have the same done to it, rather than get a new whiz-bang 4GLTE/5G device?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Thanks 2