Lost My Ignition Key - 1929 Model 27

MG1927

Hi Folks,

I hate to say this, but I lost or misplaced the ignition key for my '29 model 27.  I cannot find any numbers for the lock to have a key made.  So would anyone know if the lock cylinder can be removed?  If so, any suggestions on how to go about it?  Or am I stuck taking the steering wheel off and sliding it up and off the steering wheel shaft so I can send the unit to a locksmith?

Thanks for any help!

Marty

DSC01362.JPG

DSC01365.JPG

I could be wrong, but the hole shown under the lock originally had a pin which retains the lock cylinder. Once the pin is drilled out, the lock cylinder can be removed. Once removed, a locksmith can easily cut a new key for you.

• Like 1

Jessers Classic Keys can supply the old Briggs and Statton blanks. I dont recall what number the blank is. The retainer pin may have already been drilled. Have you attempted to lift the cylinder out with a sharp pick? Be careful as those lock cylinders are hard to find.

• Like 1

Raydurr / Robert Engle   No, I have not attempted anything yet, just waiting on replies.  If I drill the pin out, it must be tricky to finish the drilling depth (just getting the pin drilled out) without drilling into the brass key cylinder??   Any tips there?

Thanks!