1960 Austin Healey 3000 cylinder head

Pilgrim65

Have a mk1 healey project awaiting commencement, currently collecting necessary parts , have a the original 29e engine but cylinder head cracked , so looking for replacement , as I also have a spare 26D complete engine , I wonder if the cylinder head would fit the 29e , would be a substantial cost saving.

any advice appreciated 

cheers

paul

I would suggest one of the AH specific forums. The engines are the least special part of the car, being essentially Austin Westminster units. But answering a question as specific as whether a 29E and a 26D head will interchange requires someone with in depth knowledge.

Also I would look into if your crack can be stitched. Thirty years or more ago there were ample rusty Healey or Westminster parts cars around and the easy option was just a swap with a used engine. But these days any of these engines are well worth bringing back to life if at all possible. Even more so if the engine number matches the heritage document.  Or serial number plate stamping, it's been too long since I did any work on a 3000 to remember if the serial plate had a engine number stamping. All my 21 st. century  experience with BMC cars has been on MGA's, and the serial plate is just stamped " see engine " in the engine number space.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)