Auto Paint Tech question

DavidAU

I have a car I am slowly restoring and the PPG 2 pack primer was applied to the bare metal body and panels approx. 10 - 12 years ago and the car has been inside a shed ever since.  I have now sanded it down (600 grit) ready to be painted with base coat, clear coat finish but I have been advised that the base coat will not adhere properly to the primer as it is too old and the car should be given another coat of primer to get proper adhesion to the old primer before the final coats are applied.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of thing and can advise me whether this is correct.  Thanks 

• Like 1

That is a PPG question. Check their website for a number or email address for tech support. Unless there is a PPG rep on the internet forums, you can take the information as guessing.

• Like 3

Remember primers are poruss.  Was there any sealer applied?  I would not take a chance and would sand off all the old primer down to bare metal and start fresh with all new sealers, primers, and finish coats.

PPG 2 pac primer is not porous!  The old lacquer primer was porous. I would say also ask the PPG rep. If it was Glasurit  the answer would be clean the surface before sanding so that any contaminates do not get ground into the primer during the sanding operation. Then paint .Cheers pete

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 8:51 PM, DavidAU said:

I have a car I am slowly restoring and the PPG 2 pack primer was applied to the bare metal body and panels approx. 10 - 12 years ago and the car has been inside a shed ever since.  I have now sanded it down (600 grit) ready to be painted with base coat, clear coat finish but I have been advised that the base coat will not adhere properly to the primer as it is too old and the car should be given another coat of primer to get proper adhesion to the old primer before the final coats are applied.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of thing and can advise me whether this is correct.  Thanks 

Sanding/ or stripping, epoxy primer, primer, sanding and filling, primer sealer, paint.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Not knowing which PPG 2 Pack primer was used, it could very well be epoxy primer like the old DP40 series. That was two pack. You added DP401 or DP402 to activate it.

Hence ask PPG!

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)