In Need of Green Seat Cover(s) for 1965 Riviera Gran Sport -- Verde Green

Craig Balzer

The lower portion of my driver's seat back (about the size of a softball, centered in the lower portion) has been stiff compared to the rest of the vinyl on the seat back and seat cushion since I bought it 2-3 years ago. Today -- that stiffness gave up the ghost. I'm pretty sure the seat covers are not original.

In any event, I am looking for recommendation(s) on sourcing a replacement cushion(s). I expect they will be sold in pairs, so I'm prepared to replace both the driver and passenger seat cushions if for no other reason than to get a better color match the seats that are side-by-side.

A web search turned up 
 https://www.autoobsession.com/seatupholstery1964-65rivierabucketseatcover-front.aspx

https://www.zemotor.com/used-cars/1965-buick-riviera-interior (but i couldn't find any upholstery entries)

https://www.opgi.com/interior-accessories/seat-upholstery/1965-buick-riviera-upholstery/seat-upholstery-1965-riviera-custom-front-buckets-br02206.html (but they don't offer green and I've seen positive and negative comments about them)

Any help appreciated

Craig

Driver's Seat 1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport - Verde.jpg

Driver's Seat 1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport - Verde - Close Up.jpg

Edited by Craig Balzer
correct typo (see edit history)

On 2/19/2022 at 9:17 PM, RivNut said:

Contact SMS for some matching vinyl and have your local upholstery shop replace only the torn up panels.  Did the same with a 70 Skylark.  Three different vinyls. One for the seat, one for the edges, and one for the back of the seat.

Ed,I bought some extra material for my green interior from SMS 9 years ago, but at that time the only correct green

they had was very thin gauge  vinyl like what was used on the door panels and arm rests.....not the correct heavy

stuff for the sitting areas of the seats. The thickness of the vinyl was very thick on the custom interior seats. The last time I looked,

Clark's had the green material but they claimed it was not an exact match, but fairly close.....I haven't seen a sample of it. If my car needed

upholstery for the seats, which it does not at present, i would have leather dyed to an exact match and do all the seats in green leather.

There are companies that can dye leather to any desired color. There is a lady who has been advertising a green front passenger seat out of a

65 Riviera in the Riview magazine for about a year.....not sure if it ever sold or if it is currently for sale but it would be worth looking into to fix this man's problem. Being

on the passenger side, the seat back upholstery should still be in good shape.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have ordered the vinyl seat covers from Clark's Corvair for both of my two front seats. Looking more closely at the seats (with this renewed focus) I noted the outside upper corner of the back of the passenger seat had a split seam -- about 3-4 inches.

Since I was concerned about color-matching the seats by just replacing the one panel anyway, I am gonna redo the seats and backs on both.

Clark's doesn't offer the cushions (what they call the pads) -- mine seem to be in good shape but who knows what will happen when the old vinyl is removed.

Is there a place you guys can recommend that offers the cushions?

TIA

Craig 

On 2/22/2022 at 2:42 PM, Craig Balzer said:

I have ordered the vinyl seat covers from Clark's Corvair for both of my two front seats. Looking more closely at the seats (with this renewed focus) I noted the outside upper corner of the back of the passenger seat had a split seam -- about 3-4 inches.

Since I was concerned about color-matching the seats by just replacing the one panel anyway, I am gonna redo the seats and backs on both.

Clark's doesn't offer the cushions (what they call the pads) -- mine seem to be in good shape but who knows what will happen when the old vinyl is removed.

Is there a place you guys can recommend that offers the cushions?

TIA

Craig 

Craig........report back how closely the Clark's Green upholstery matches the original in terms of thickness of the material and the color match.

I keep expecting my Driver's seat to split open somewhere although it's in great shape at present.

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

Craig........report back how closely the Clark's Green upholstery matches the original . . .

. . . will do. I'm expecting the upholstery kit later this week and have a slot reserved on  21MAR22 for the re-upholstery of the seats. 

Watch this space . . . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 7:48 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Craig........report back how closely the Clark's Green upholstery matches the original in terms of thickness of the material and the color match.

I received both seat covers from Clarks the other day and the weather here (CO) was finally clear and warm-ish so I could grab some photos in natural light.

As I mentioned the passenger seat needed attention as well: split seam on the outer upper corner of the seat back and the plastic coating on the (safety?) wire for the seat belt (photos 1 and 2).

Regarding the seat covers: I'm not sure of the color is that off or if the covers on the car (which I am pretty sure are replacements) are just dirty or weathered. In any event, the match could have been better, in my opinion. The grain of the vinyl is pretty close.

The carpet attached to the edge of the seat covers is another matter -- it has a bunch more yellow in it. It isn't so "off" in real life but still not what I would call real close.

Not sure how to measure thickness -- maybe after the old covers are off?? What/Where do I measure? Need guidance

Craig

20220313_141307.jpg

20220313_141250.jpg

20220313_141110.jpg

20220313_141329.jpg

20220313_141154.jpg

Edited by Craig Balzer (see edit history)