Fan Clutch for '64 Super Wildcat

rexcrews

Fellow Members,

You all were such help with previous posts about door skin removal! Thanks so much.  I now have a question about the fan clutch on my '64 Super Wildcat.  It makes a roaring sound at low speeds but seems okay at higher speeds.  The fan clutch was installed at some point in the past but it looks brand new and is a larger heavy duty type.  I am wondering if there are recommendations out there for replacement that will stop this noise. The clutch is tightish, but will spin about 3/4 of a revolution when cold.  But it has been making this sound since I purchased the car last summer, so weather does not seem to affect it.  Thanks! Rex

It may be working as designed.

A GM viscous coupled fan clutch should "roar" for a few seconds when the car is first started and soon quiet down. A properly working one will then engage and "roar" depending on underhood temperature. When the viscous fluid cools down the clutch will disengage and quiet down. It will cycle this way while the car is running. You may hear it cycle more often under low speed or extended idle conditions, but cycling at highway speed isn't unusual.

If it "roars" constantly and doesn't cycle it's bad. Let us know what it does at highway speeds.

• Like 1

thanks for this answer.  It sounds okay on the interstate at 50 -80, but at lower speeds, it sounds like you're stuck in low gear and the engine is torquing more than you're moving.  This is, I think, a newer Hayden fan clutch for a heavy duty application.  This is also a thermal clutch with a little thermostat in the center.  I appreciate the help! Rex

Two things, the HD clutch may have been installed for overheating issues. In short, covering up a radiator not up to the trash of cooling as well as it should. Or, it's the only clutch the previous owner could find. So, find a standard clutch and hope it cools or replace the radiator so the HD clutch does not need to work so hard. 

Your heavy duty fan clutch isn’t broken. It’s doing exactly what it was designed to do. I did a write up about this on my build thread. Switch it back to a standard clutch & you’ll be happy

Here are screen shots & a part number for the standard fan clutch u need

C6D15FC7-D338-48AC-916F-1D14EDA65F2D.png.6a7b84e0cb75ab8cf69ddd833a9c5762.png 

9808ADAF-5EB2-44FE-B4DC-FBD5CF1EE51E.png.5be77ac1512e9011513188b87eb7aab5.png

CE379C3B-BCA1-442C-B845-61CB59A90577.png.c69d85424494c822d350742a518fc956.png

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)