Just signed up!

TV63

Welcome!

We would love to see some pictures of your car.

I'd like to see a picture of the data plate bove the power brake booster, on the firewall.  From it, I can tell you when you body was built and other trivia about your car.

Thanks!

Jim Cannon is the “Go to guy” for the 1963 Riviera. He is the 1963 Tech Advisor for the 1963, and maintains a registry for the 1963.  Hence the request for the data plate info.  

Welcome and hopefully you consider joining the Riviera Owners Assn. We’ve been around since 1984, publish a bi-monthly magazine, and have an annual “International meet.”  This year we’re meeting in Branso, MO.  

Click on the link in my signature block to be taken to the ROA’s website. There you can get an idea of who we are and find membership information.  See you in Branson in June?

Ed

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

Welcome!

We would love to see some pictures of your car.

I'd like to see a picture of the data plate bove the power brake booster, on the firewall.  From it, I can tell you when you body was built and other trivia about your car.

Thanks!

Hi Jim. Good to meet you.Here is A picture of the data plate. I will have to wait on the weather to cooperate for more pictures.I have already made my first mistake. I didn’t take pictures of the bottom of my trunk pan before I had someone replace it. If you have A pic of the fuel tank support brackets and how it attaches to the floor pan I would appreciate it . It looks like it just dead ends and I don’t remember what it looked like before. 

F7AB26C3-8863-446F-B49F-EB9FFD8F0489.jpeg

6A75B750-DE24-4778-8431-F43D425F5369.jpeg

OK, that's kind of cool. The factory color was Bronze Mist (which you probably knew).

The factory interior color was Sandalwood Vinyl Standard Interior... so no wood panels on the doors. But Power Seat! So power seat control on the side of the seat?

And power windows, so window switches on the interior door panel?

Cool!

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the gas tank hangers that you need. Hopefully someone else does.

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

I did not see a D on the plate. D means that provisions for a radio were added in the body plant. Does your car not have a radio?

Good catch, Ed!  A radio delete car!  No hole in the right front fender for a radio antenna.

Only 561 new cars in 1963 left the factory without a radio.  That's out of 40,000; a pretty rare bird.

Thanks for the info guy’s. It does have A factory radio and A power antenna. The upholstery color is white and original. The carpet is sandalwood the headliner blue lower part of the dash is blue. Kind of a mix.I was told this is one of the Rivi that was built in December of 63 and has A 425 instead of A 401. Ya if anyone has A picture of the gas tank supports and how they are attached I would appreciate it. Thanks again!

The only fool proof way to tell if the engine in your car ias a 425 is to find the stamped (not cast) numbers on the top of the block.  There will be a two letter designation stamped into the block.  The letter J is the designator for 1963.  The letter T is the designator for a 401, whereas the letter W is the designator for a 425.  So you should find a JW stamped into the block.  The accompanying illustration shows you where to look.  You’re looking for the Production Code Number.  Opposite that number is the Engine Serial number.  It should match the VIN on the cowl and your title.

8BEABA83-D040-4345-A9E2-7243C2398E5A.jpeg.154071f607ec0086bb3e353b66c6a123.jpeg

This illustration shows the stampings for a 1966 (M) 401.

Only the option built into the car at the Fisher Body plant show up on the data plate. Options installed during final assembly do not. So, tilt wheel, cornering lights, Guidematic, Twilight sentinel, four note horns, the type of radio and power antenna, basically anything from the dash board forward do not show on the data plate.

You said your interior is white. Sandlewood is an off white. White interior is like virgin snow WHITE.  I don’t know where the blue would come from. ???  The 04C on the data plate shows that your car was built in the 3dr week (C) of April (04).  Post some more pictures if you would.

Ed

120F04B9-0124-4F33-A33A-EA26B0DC5CD6.jpeg.16ab28aa8d7bfaf480f9b6b6706a4425.jpegThis chart from a 1963 Salesman’s book, shows the colors that go with each trim code. Look at the colors that go with 736. The pictures show the 736 Sandalwood interior as well as the chart that shows the colors of the instrument panel, steering wheel, carpet, pedals, and headliner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TV63 said:

Thanks for the info Ed on the production code # , it is J W so it is A 425. Can you tell me what the rest of those numbers mean ? JWb51 . Thanks again. Tim.

Only some car god might know. The common thinking is that is has to do with the shift in which the engine was built or something like that.  Nothing critical.  We all live without knowing for sure.