Buick??

nzcarnerd

Fixed roof, so not a convertible coupe. I Cannot say what it is for certain, although Buick does appear likely. And Buick did make fixed/padded top coupes for several years mid to late 1920s. A good friend had a 1928, and I have seen pictures of several others. I am not sure what Buick called them.

The 1929 Reo I had a long time ago was similar, except it was five window, with the dummy landau bars behind the side corner windows. Reo called it a "semi-sport coupe".

13 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Fixed roof, so not a convertible coupe. I Cannot say what it is for certain, although Buick does appear likely. And Buick did make fixed/padded top coupes for several years mid to late 1920s. A good friend had a 1928, and I have seen pictures of several others. I am not sure what Buick called them.

The 1929 Reo I had a long time ago was similar, except it was five window, with the dummy landau bars behind the side corner windows. Reo called it a "semi-sport coupe".

Yes, the whole body style naming 'convention' was very flexible. Studebaker called this one a cabriolet - more like a 'faux' cabriolet. Unlike the Buick above, and other 'padded top' cars the Studebaker has a 'soft' top.

My car - it has the same doors and front end as the equivalent sedan and the back half is the same as the larger President as far as I can work out. It has right hand drive so the golf bag doors is on the 'wrong' side but the rumble seat steps are on the left. I reckon it has a nice shaped bum.

vauxnut Flickr vcc coffee and cars 150821 r resize.jpg

12 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

In connection to your Reo, Studebaker called this a Victoria - 

See the source image

9 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Yes, the whole body style naming 'convention' was very flexible. Studebaker called this one a cabriolet - more like a 'faux' cabriolet. Unlike the Buick above, and other 'padded top' cars the Studebaker has a 'soft' top.

My car - it has the same doors and front end as the equivalent sedan and the back half is the same as the larger President as far as I can work out. It has right hand drive so the golf bag doors is on the 'wrong' side but the rumble seat steps are on the left. I reckon it has a nice shaped bum.

I love that Studebaker of yours! Every time I see a picture of it, I very much enjoy it. Several car makers in this country offered very similar "fake folding top" coupes like that. Ford, with its model A built the most, calling them a "sport coupe". The model A sport coupe had dummy landau bars, and no golf bag door. One of my longest time best friends was restoring one when we met over fifty years ago. I have known several people that had model A sport coupes over the years and they are one of my favorite model A Ford models. Almost totally forgotten, Ford's model A also offered a "business coupe" for just a few dollars less which also had the fixed soft top in a cheaper black fabric without the landau bars. Most of those that survived have been "restored" by upping them to sport coupes by adding the landau bars and a few other minor details. I am not sure if the rumble seat was standard or optional on the sport coupe, but most sport coupes did seem to have the rumble seat. Most business coupes simply had the large but empty trunk.

I have seen photos of a few Chevrolet fixed soft top coupes. Not sure what they called them. I have seen one of Chevrolet's sister marques, a Pontiac, similar fixed soft top coupe. I also saw another non-Ford  (I seem to recall maybe a Nash?) with a similar style coupe? The owner said it was a one year only offering, which the following year was replaced by a padded fixed roof similar to the Buick and my Reo. There was also a circa 1929 Packard listed on this forum's for sale site a year or two ago that was discussed quite a bit. It confused a lot of people because at first glance it appeared to be a cabriolet, but closer examination of the photos revealed it also had a fixed soft top.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

In connection to your Reo, Studebaker called this a Victoria - 

See the source image

There has been a Standard series one like this for sale for quite some time now. A very original car with original paint and upholstery in remarkably decent condition. I keep looking at pictures of it and wishing I could afford the cost to buy it.

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

I love that Studebaker of yours! Every time I see a picture of it, I very much enjoy it. Several car makers in this country offered very similar "fake folding top" coupes like that. Ford, with its model A built the most, calling them a "sport coupe". The model A sport coupe had dummy landau bars, and no golf bag door. One of my longest time best friends was restoring one when we met over fifty years ago. I have known several people that had model A sport coupes over the years and they are one of my favorite model A Ford models. Almost totally forgotten, Ford's model A also offered a "business coupe" for just a few dollars less which also had the fixed soft top in a cheaper black fabric without the landau bars. Most of those that survived have been "restored" by upping them to sport coupes by adding the landau bars and a few other minor details. I am not sure if the rumble seat was standard or optional on the sport coupe, but most sport coupes did seem to have the rumble seat. Most business coupes simply had the large but empty trunk.

I have seen photos of a few Chevrolet fixed soft top coupes. Not sure what they called them. I have seen one of Chevrolet's sister marques, a Pontiac, similar fixed soft top coupe. I also saw another non-Ford  (I seem to recall maybe a Nash?) with a similar style coupe? The owner said it was a one year only offering, which the following year was replaced by a padded fixed roof similar to the Buick and my Reo. There was also a circa 1929 Packard listed on this forum's for sale site a year or two ago that was discussed quite a bit. It confused a lot of people because at first glance it appeared to be a cabriolet, but closer examination of the photos revealed it also had a fixed soft top.

I think the GM makes used the term Landau for the models with the dummy irons. Although to add to the confusion Pontiac (and Chev?) did make a few sedans where the rear end opened - Landaulet. 

I have seen pictures of Chryslers of that era with them as well.

As regards whether a top folds or not, the easy way to tell is the placement of the lower end of the iron, as a general rule. If it is in the fabric of the top then it does not fold. Real cabriolets have the lower end of the iron within the body.  On my car the lower end has been attached to the metal trim strip around the base of the top. I think this is incorrect - but I am not going to alter it. I am not sure why it was done that way. Maybe the person who did the top thought it a better idea as there could be a risk of damaging the top fabric as it aged??

This recently colourised factory photo show the correct location -  

colourised factory photo.jpg

You can see in this photo of the cabriolet in the US in its as found state that there is no hole in that trim strip. I think it was restored by Syd Huston. I don't have any as found photos of mine unfortunately.

69068692_120899622583481_1677481202090508288_n.jpg

Here is something possibly even rarer - a 1929 Erskine cabriolet. The photo is from the New Zealand national Library and was taken along the Hutt Motorway near Wellington circa 1960. There is one the same that lives near me but I have not yet met the owner - BUT - I have been told it was constructed from the remains of a sedan. Even though the 1929 Erskine was designed to appear similar to its bigger brother Studebakers the wire wheel ones can be easily distinguished by their small hubcaps.

1929 Erskine Wgtn 1960 nat lib photo.jpg

Ever since I had my Reo, I have loved the look of landau bars on automobiles. As long as they are of good size and appropriately placed. Interesting detail you point out about the lower placement of the bar, being on or off of the top material. I hadn't really noticed that before, so thank you for that!

The colorized original era photo of the Studebaker is nice! I wonder though what the original colors were on that car?

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

This 1928 Cadillac here in NZ illustrates what I said about the lower ends of the irons being in the body. I think not all cabriolets used external irons though.  Interestingly the guy who put all the work into this car - which had had a very chequered history having gone through quite a few owners in its later years - was very upset that when the car was auctioned not too long ago his name was not mentioned by the auction company. 

IA1928.jpg

3 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Ever since I had my Reo, I have loved the look of landau bars on automobiles. As long as they are of good size and appropriately placed. Interesting detail you point out about the lower placement of the bar, being on or off of the top material. I hadn't really noticed that before, so thank you for that!

The colorized original era photo of the Studebaker is nice! I wonder though what the original colors were on that car?

I have a factory manual that lists the available colour for the various body styles but it doesn't mention the cabriolet. In that factory photo you can see that it doesn't have the waistline panel in a different colour.

14 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Another 'padded top' coupe - with no irons - is this Chrysler 77 that an acquaintance imported from the US about 15 years ago. I think probably not a common model There were several different coupes in the 77 range and I am not exactly certain which this one is. This one had apparently been left in storage after its owner failed to return from WW2. It has had the top fabric replaced but little else has been done to it. Unfortunately I don't have a really good photo.   Report - EMP487 - 1930 CHRYSLER 77 in Red with Black | CARJAM

30 EMP487 Ian Lamb car ex USA Woodend my photo.JPG

The first photo is very similar but not the same as a 1928 Chrysler 72 Rumble seat Coupe made by Fisher as you would all already know they made bodies for quite a few makes. Here’s a period photo of one and a photo of a project I have just bought. Do love these Coupes.

D74E63B5-9D17-4D45-B1E3-19E72E8BC07C.jpeg

77F7C90F-E808-456D-BFEF-0A200F6AB5A9.jpeg

6A1FDB13-C21F-48EA-9EBD-4A3973F66023.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

If you still don`t think it`s a Buick take a look at this 1927 Master Buick.

MDGRZQNTZ2Z.jpg

Oh most certainly it is a Buick I was just making comments on the similarities in body style of the Chrysler. Both Buick and Chrysler used Fisher bodies in this period so I guess there would be some carry over in style. 
Cheers Ben

10 hours ago, Vintageben said:

The first photo is very similar but not the same as a 1928 Chrysler 72 Rumble seat Coupe made by Fisher as you would all already know they made bodies for quite a few makes. Here’s a period photo of one and a photo of a project I have just bought. Do love these Coupes.

D74E63B5-9D17-4D45-B1E3-19E72E8BC07C.jpeg

77F7C90F-E808-456D-BFEF-0A200F6AB5A9.jpeg

6A1FDB13-C21F-48EA-9EBD-4A3973F66023.jpeg

I guess probably because of its wood/fabric top construction your would be a rare survivor? The only one I found a photo of is on this page. The price seems to be quite reasonable. You might have to be careful not to overspend on yours.  Chrysler Series 70 / 72 Market - CLASSIC.COM

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

I guess probably because of its wood/fabric top construction your would be a rare survivor? The only one I found a photo of is on this page. The price seems to be quite reasonable. You might have to be careful not to overspend on yours.  Chrysler Series 70 / 72 Market - CLASSIC.COM

Yeah I saw that one too. I have never really learnt how to not overspend on these projects apart from not buying any but that’s not really an option for me. I guess I still view it like any other hobby be it golf or fishing, the profit to be made is in the way of enjoyment not money. All the same I’m still careful on the money spent and I like doing most the work myself, is it perfect no but I have a lot of fun.

• Like 1

After going on earlier about 'non folding' tops having the lower ends their fake irons mounted in among the fabric, here is a 1930 Buick where the lower end is 'in the body' making it look more like it is a convertible but still is not. 

This one is advertised as a 64C but is actually the smaller 46S  -  1930 Buick Four Passenger Country Club Coupe Model 64C - cars &... (craigslist.org)

A restored 46S - See the source image

And the much larger 64C - 

See the source image

• Like 2

My guess would be 1928 Buick 54 C country club coupe, a master series with 128” wheelbase, I base that off of my ownership of that model,  I have a picture on file and if needed I can get the car out of storage and take a picture at the same angle .

• Like 1