Do I really need a new project?

Happy Easter Bernie,

You're not the only one struggling to make a start after breakfast.

Today I can finally open the big barn doors and see my two seat roadster. Up here on the north end of Earth it was about the same morning temp here as it was down there, of course as the sun came up it got about 15 degrees warmer and as the snow melts I see all the branches that came down during the April 1st ice storm and blizzard. By Wednesday the predicted high temp is supposed another 20 degrees warmer and that should finish melting the 5 foot high snow drift that is keeping my car in the barn.

It might not sound like an Easter thing to do, but not needing to find a place to toss the snow that's blocking the doors I can get to my chainsaw and splitting maul. Before I do any chores I'm putting the new license (number) plates on the car, giving it a good looking over and starting the engine.  Some things are more important than chores.

Scan.jpeg.dd992f0e8b991a933ec050852792771d.jpeg

Re The "Bullnose Morris book" I may have been a little off-putting in some of my earlier comments, I have now read further into the book I have found that it is full of useful information,  it is just that this is given in a very conversational manner. You really need to go deeper into the book.

Further to my discussion regarding oxy- acetylene -welding. Being the Easter Holiday period the suppliers of the necessary gasses are closed for the next few days. This brings my work on the seat bases to a halt.

Bernie J.

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)

I am sorry about the duplication but I do not seem to be able to delete the second photographs.

Bj.

I really do not quite understand why I have this obsession with junk. I just need to go to my front door..............DSCN8016.JPG.13ac34ec622f3bee91b97ca26b475e43.JPGAnd it does not even get to go in the garage. I really must be mad.

The VW is Helen's car. It is a turbo diesel that goes very well. Just get in switch on and it is away without any more fuss.

The Rapier is almost as good but rather that use the choke for a cold start, it prefers you to lift the "bonnet" and flood the carbs.

To do this you simply "switch on", lift the bonnet side and depress the little "plunger" on the top of each float chamber. Hold it down while the fuel pump runs for a few seconds and petrol emerges from the "over flow pipe". This done on both carbs and it will start on the  first press of the "Starter button". Brumm brum!image.jpeg.2f2cbc40452a1b84826a8d909836f136.jpeg

I am sorry that "everything is not polished to perfection", The Rapier is a car to be used! To be driven and enjoyed!!

Bj.

• Like 1

Bernie, great to see a classic like the Rapier used regularly. Who wants a trailer queen? Much more fun to head down the road. Also, SU carbs do not get too much of a shine, at best a glow, when metal polished.

I enjoyed your “cold start process”; it is pretty much what MG T-series owners use for “hot starts”.  After a good run, fuel tends to vaporize in the passage from the float bowls to the jets when turned off. Using the little plunger floods the vapor out so the motor will start. 

keep at it on the Morris…another unique car.

• Like 1

Hello Dr Data

We have just started to "think" about our next big trip, to Europe.

Our present thoughts are to take the Rapier as our day to day transport,as we have done previously.

With the  trip over the time will come when we have to decide whether to bring it home again or to sell it in the UK where we would be sure to find a buyer and would get a far better price for it.

Having said that it would be hard to part with the car that has become such an old friend and part of the family.

Bringing it home would be courting disaster with the Australian Customs and their fetish about asbestos! I am sure that they would have a "ball" tearing the pre-select gearbox apart, looking for any offending fibres. That it has been here in Aust for more than 50 or 60 years has nothing to do with their crazy ideas.

That it is a totally different car to the one that came here all those years ago has nothing to do with their thinking. The photo (below) shows "KG" as it was prior to being brought here from the UK.

Bj.image.jpeg.bd6f73f33007f0d522030949081269c2.jpeg

For a change here is a photo of the "exhaust side" of the engine. Just the same as the carburettor side, clean but not polished. Purists can entertain themselves picking out all the "non-original" bits. 

Bj.

image.jpeg.c81301911510ec370df85fa6cf700e56.jpeg

Of those "Non-original bits" the exhaust system is the most obvious,

For those who do not know "Rapiers" the ignition coil is far from "original" The Rapier as it left the Staines factory would have used a Magneto. The "starter" is hidden from view. it is a modern "Geared" replacement. In front of the starter is the oil filter. This has a modern, screw on canister in replacement for the original container with a replaceable "element".  On the front of the cylinder head is the modern "Mini-Cooper" oil-pump. Going back to the "bulk-head" the Fuse-box and the starter solenoid are both modern replacements. As is the new cast aluminium water outlet from the top of the radiator. This also contains the "sender" for the (water) temperature gauge.

Stretching the imagination ever so slightly,  the "stone-guard" mesh for the radiator "shell" replaces a "Grill" of plated vertical "Blades". Going a little further although this may be stretching the "friendship" the road wheels are 17 inch replacing the originally fitted 19 inch.

Finally that copper pipe is an "elbow" taking the water to the gear driven pump also driven from the "timing" gears. 

You may have by now realised that there are no "Belts or Chains" involved in driving any of the accessories at the front of the Rapier motor.

While on the subject of "original equipment", I was pleased to note whilst browsing through the pages of Chris Wiblin's book, Twin Cam Extravagance one photograph showing a then near new Rapier taken in the "pits"at the Ard's Grand Prix. Page 258 Fig.8.24 with the Radiator "slats" replaced by wire mesh.

image.jpeg.2382962fc61195fdf1b9a0e2e5d57085.jpegimage.jpeg.05d3f27f09230932ce90649680f6631c.jpeg

image.jpeg.b190181ff605bfc8fa33acf5c11b46c6.jpegThis composite of four photographs are a reminder of what was probably my most significant (unfinished) project. Based on a 1929 Lagonda 3 Litre it was sold unfinished. Several times I have attempted to find it with the idea that I should finish it, so far all my efforts have failed to find its present location.

Bj.

Another car from the distant past. This one you should be able to recognise simply by looking at the radiator.

The top photograph shows my starting point. the other two a front and a rear view. It is or was when I last heard of it, in northern Australia.

As the name painted on the bonnet side tells you it was indeed a "Flying (Dodge) Four".

Scan1.jpeg.306f9021c5b7d3dee83bedf3e1c1b564.jpeg

image.png

Back to work on the Morris"Raworth Special" Replica, I am currently working at making the seat bases. These will lift the seats off the floor and increase the "rake" making then far more comfortable. I have finished the frame for the first an have made a start on the second. Once finished they will be "boxed in on there sides and covered in matching (dark red) vinyl.DSCN8024.JPG.1de581ee19eccdd7242010e321db46d6.JPGDSCN8023.JPG.2e3a58ff91f0e13479ff9a7259460a94.JPG

At this stage I feel that from the lack of reply, I am boring you. At least from a purely selfish point of view, I am keeping a visual record of how as an 86 year old enthusiast, I keep myself amused. So much better than sitting half asleep in front of a TV set.

Looking at the photograph of the finished frame, I need to weld a couple of lugs on the inside of the frame to facilitate fixing it to the underside of the seat.

If nothing else it keeps my mind working!

Bernie j.

• Like 1

Bernie, I just spent an hour caching up on the year of activity I've missed on this thread.

I'm glad to see that you sent the Alvis on and found that Morris; it looks like a car that you know well and one that you'll be able to turn into something very Special. (pun intended)

It was also great to see that you've got the Rapier back on the road and are planning to take it on another European Grand Tour.

I agree that you made the correct choice when you decided to keep that car!

Keep up the good work!

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is some little time since I last looked in here, Nothing has changed so I can go back to trying to finish the seats for the Morris.

First I must do a trial fitting of the bases, just to be sure that I am not making them too high.

Going by my "thumb-nail" rule, the seat bases should be fine. the only problem being that the seat-backs will need to be folded when the car is parked and the tonneau cover in place. The bases will still need to be "boxed-in" using some of the colour matched vinyl to cover them. This is one job that is not really urgent. We had our son, Steve and grand son Otto here for lunch, they both seemed to be interested in the Morris as a "project".

Bj.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another leap forward with the "Morris"

This time it is loaded onto a trailer for its journey out to Yarra Junction where our son Steve is to take over the final re-assembly and detail work towards making the car a "Go-er"! This will involve replacing the rebuilt gearbox back into the car and doing the detail final assembly. Now we can look forward to having the "Ra-worth Special" travelling under its own power.

Bj.

DSCN8037.JPG.eaa46d1f65988563f13ebf383d08e4f7.JPG

• Like 1

I am sure there were mixed emotions as the Morris was trailered out. Hopefully, you will get an opportunity to take it for a drive under its own power. In the meantime, I am sure you are able to focus upon the Rapier’s needs.

It is not that the Morris has been sold!

Steve is one of our three sons and is the one that has always helped me with various aspects of restorations. He has taken the Morris to his home which is about an hour or an hour and a half drive away. It is far more practical for him to have it there than for him to be wasting time travelling between his place and ours. I can get on with some other work that needs my attention.

This last weekend driving in the Rapier has shown up some things that I have probably neglected. Especially driving it in the country at night where I found that my 86 year old eyes are not as good as they once were. 

I am paying Steve the same for his time as I would other sub-contractors.

He has the under-cover work space and a much better range of tools and machinery than I have. He also has the knowledge how to use them.

Bj.

• Like 1

Meanwhile after a weekend away on the Rapier I am now chasing a intermittent loss of power and misfiring. I have had the distributor checked and found to be OK so now I am checking the fuel filters for a partial blockage. There are three to check including two under the rear of the car. There two seperate pipelines, the main supply and the reserve. There are also two small filters where the petrol feed enters the top of the float bowls.

The reserve draws fuel from the bottom of the tank so is more likely to suffer from a blockage. There is also a filter built into the electric SU fuel pump. Looking under the rear of the car one filter appears to be partially blocked so perhaps that is where the problem is. There is only onw way to find out. It is cold and wet outside so perhaps today is not the best day to be crawling under the car. In case you have forgotten, it is now the end of Autumn and the beginning of Winter here, "down-under" in Australia.

Bj.

DSCN8039.JPG.b4f69bc490560a4192dfeb64f546b243.JPG

Looking out from the front garden don't be mistaken, Australian "Gum" Eucalyptus trees are ever green while the imported trees as this one in our neighbours garden have changed colour and are loosing their leaves. Our garden is of almost entirely Australian Native Plants. Those substantial trees in the foreground we planted as seedlings only a few inches tall when we started our garden 20+ years ago. 

In case you are wondering, we live at the end of a "cul-de-sac" or "lane"!

Bj.

• Like 2

In answer to the original question, the answer is NO! I already have too much on my plate and risk spilling some on the floor. The Morris Project has gone out to my son Steven's place where he and his son Otto can work on it. I do have some work to do on the Lagonda Rapier sorting out the ignition timing . 

Once that is done I can finish giving it a polish and cleaning out the interior, not that needs anything more than giving the carpet a brush.

I really am sick and tired of the mainly self inflicted little problems with it.

Bj.

N.B. There is only one person who can solve my problem.

It is really too nice a car to neglect.

Again I am reminded, "If it don't go, polish it!"

• Like 1

DSCN8042.jpg.079ccfb28a249182f34b01d7a37c2e49.jpg

image.jpeg.f3b7c49dd8495d06c809f4ada5dc0bb7.jpeg

image.jpeg.969203d5128399ced55fab2680c4b95e.jpeg

The evidence of much polishing is there to see, However it is now waiting for the distributor to come back following a "Check over" and new Electronic "Points" to be installed.

The location for the distributor can be seen between the two carburettors. While not "over polished" the motor is clean and free from oil leaks. 1500cc twin overhead cam  engine does all that is asked of it.

As seen in the second photograph, the "in-line" four speed preselect gear change

comes "readily to hand", centrally, floor mounted. The "fly-off" hand brake lever is mounted on the right hand side. The comprehensive display of instruments tells the driver everything that he needs to know.  Main gauges show RPM and MPH, smaller gauges, fuel level, oil pressure, water temperature and electric generator amps. a combined ignitor (key) switch and lights. extreme right is the (flashing) turn indicator switch. Everything works as can be expected. Horn "button" is in the centre of the steering wheel. Two discreet hooded lamps illuminate the instruments for night driving. The "engine photo" also shows the two position (reserve) petrol supply.

In addition to the main SU petrol pump, there are another two pumps (main and reserve) under the car. In addition there are two extra petrol filters, again main and reserve, under the car. Nothing is over-looked. Just visible on the bulk-head are four spare spark-plugs

• Like 3

Now, with the new "points" installed in the distributor, the car should be back to its reliable self and ready for some long distance touring. It starts "on the button" and ticks over nicely at about 750 rpm.  Todays task is to climb under the rear of the car in order to check the rear mounted fuel filters. (Nearest the petrol tank.)

Bj.

Having jacked up the rear of the car and climbed under, to is apparent that one filter has a very small amount of "stuff" trapped inside it the other (reserve) is completely clear. Apart from anything else this speaks volumes regarding the quality of the petrol available from suburban service stations.

Bj.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

And now another month has gone by.

The Rapier is sitting patiently in the garage waiting the combined Vintage Driver's Club and the Vintage Sports Car Club's Two Day Rally.

The Morris seems to have made a new home for itself out at Yarra Junction with our son Steve. I have spent the last two days working in the garden. Planting three or four new plants and tidying up along one side of the pond. We used to have fish but a couple of local birds thought that it was better without them. We have not replaced the last lot (of fish) that we had bought.  

Bj.

• Like 3

Basically I tune my car "by ear" as with a musical instrument. That and the number of revs, the closer to correct, the revs go up. If things are  "out of tune" the engine runs roughly or stalls. (stops). Like a thoroughbred horse it will put in its best effort if you look after it. 

You probably think that I am mad BUT I talk to the Rapier all the time.

Bj.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Basically I tune my car "by ear" as with a musical instrument. That and the number of revs, the closer to correct, the revs go up. If things are  "out of tune" the engine runs roughly or stalls. (stops). Like a thoroughbred horse it will put in its best effort if you look after it. 

You probably think that I am mad BUT I talk to the Rapier all the time.

Bj.

That is how you tune the Su carburetors.

• Like 1

When you have been "playing" with these old motor cars for more than 50 or perhaps 60 years you tend to do things differently to the book. I spend a lot of time out in my garage because I am comfortable there.  I may not do a great amount of work but I am relaxed and enjoying myself.  Today I repaired the "hinge" on an antique garden lamp.  It is never lit or has not been for thirty or forty years so it really does not matter. I just did not want to loose the "door" in the garden. Our garden is very relaxed with mainly "Native Australian plants". We gave up putting fish in the pond, the only beneficiarys were a couple of birds that developed a taste for fish. The "leaf litter" is part of the "bush garden" theme. Australian Native plants are not seasonal but tend to shed the odd leaf from time to time. We have several really large Eucalyptus trees in the garden.  We planted the entire garden starting from a bare allotment after we first built our house/home a loooong time ago.

image.jpeg.a9396376f0248f67aee8b55c7eb26ad4.jpeg

• Like 2

On the subject of "Tuneing" an engine, as I understand it there are varing degrees of "Tuning".   Basically the aim is to improve the way the engine runs. The "mild" form of "tuning" is to make the engine run more smoothly and preform better. This may involve adjusting the ignition timing and the carburettor idle speed and mixture.

More extreme methods, may require the camshaft(s) to be reground to give both improved valve timing with longer periods with the valve opening and increased valve lift to increase the amount of fuel being delivered to the engine. This in turn may require the ignition timing to be altered to make the spark occur  earlier or later effecting the efficiency of the engine. i.e. to produce more power. Yet again pistons may be altered to increase the compression ratio. 

The whole subject is far too complicated to fully discuss here, whole books have been written on the subject. The ability to manage the performance of an engine is something that not everyone can or wants to do.  It takes an extra degree of enthusiasm to achieve worthwhile results. 

Ask someone else and you may get an entirely different answer!

Bernie J.

Hello Bernie, sir.

I'm been working on cars my whole life and i'm past '60 years now so I know and understand very good the writhing in your mail.

I'm a Jaguar mechanic.

I have a distributor test machine.

Engine rebuilding and transmission repairs are included in the job.

Body repair too and paint.

Best place to be is in the shop.

I rebuild carburetors, SU's, dellorto, weber etc...

Regards,

Conrad.

Australia seems a good place to be.

Edited by demco32 (see edit history)

On the subject of "Tuneing" an engine, as I understand it there are varing degrees of "Tuning".   Basically the aim is to improve the way the engine runs. The "mild" form of "tuning" is to make the engine run more smoothly and preform better. This may involve adjusting the ignition timing and the carburettor idle speed and mixture.

More extreme methods, may require the camshaft(s) to be reground to give both improved valve timing with longer periods with the valve opening and increased valve lift to increase the amount of fuel being delivered to the engine. This in turn may require the ignition timing to be altered to make the spark occur  earlier or later effecting the efficiency of the engine. i.e. to produce more power. Yet again pistons may be altered to increase the compression ratio. 

The whole subject is far too complicated to fully discuss here, whole books have been written on the subject. The ability to manage the performance of an engine is something that not everyone can or wants to do.  It takes an extra degree of enthusiasm to achieve worthwhile results. 

Ask someone else and you may get an entirely different answer!

Bernie J.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

To answerer my own question, No I just need to retrieve my earlier Morris project from its present "resting place"with our son Steve at Yarra Junction. BUT this will not happen for some weeks, After Christmas, he tells me.  By then anything may have happened and I may have changed my mind. I do have some cosmetic (panel) work to be done on the Rapier and by the time that is done any one of a million things may have happened to change my mind.

For a start I now have the Peugeot back from our daughter Anna and it may benefit from a "tidy-up".  You can work out just what the "405  SRi" is meant to indicate.

Bj.

DSCN8198.JPG.f6183b055f1127d340fd02420c0c7985.JPG

On the subject of a New Project I should be getting the Morris project back from my son early in the NewYear so I will have something (constructive) to do again. In fact rather than a "New" project I will be getting an unfinished old one back. I am not sure how much work on it is still required.

Bj.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Now I must apologise, there has been no movement on this thread for some time.

The Morris (Project) has been out in the Yarra Valley with my son Steve.

While there has been some work done on it,  it is difficult to see. Now it has been decided that it needs to come "home to the old bloke". This will happen some time before "the end of the month". 

Meanwhile the Lagonda Rapier is also "out", It is having some essential "panel & paint" work done.

I will not know precisely what needs to be done on the Morris until it is "home again".

On 11/28/2023 at 11:52 PM, Rapier said:

To answerer my own question, No I just need to retrieve my earlier Morris project from its present "resting place"with our son Steve at Yarra Junction. BUT this will not happen for some weeks, After Christmas, he tells me.  By then anything may have happened and I may have changed my mind. I do have some cosmetic (panel) work to be done on the Rapier and by the time that is done any one of a million things may have happened to change my mind.

For a start I now have the Peugeot back from our daughter Anna and it may benefit from a "tidy-up".  You can work out just what the "405  SRi" is meant to indicate.

Bj.

DSCN8198.JPG.f6183b055f1127d340fd02420c0c7985.JPG

it's been a while is saw this car on the road in Belgium.