Do I really need a new project?

DSCN7892.jpg.9f45bccf02bcb952ef8ff80c19afe0e1.jpgI don't know if we get that many really hot days. If the tonneau cover is in place when it is not being driven it tends to keep the seats cool enough to sit on. I have never had a problem with the Lagonda Rapier and it has dark green seats. See above photograph.

I think that having genuine leather for the seat facing helps too. Somehow I cannot see me keeping the Morris very long if my previous "Project Cars" are anything to go by.  One thing is certain;  I do not look at it as a replacement for the Lagonda Rapier. I am neither desperate for the money nor can I see my self ever parting with it. (i.e. The Rapier.) for any other reason.

n.b. The Rapier does not have a driver's side door and that has never been a problem. I am now very near to Eighty Six years old so who knows just what the next few years have in store for me? 

Perhaps I should have given up on all this nonsense years ago?DSCN7893.jpg.f8aa9c72015f076d7a237604db6d8862.jpg Perhaps I will be satisfied just to open the bonnet and to look at that motor. Think of all the enjoyment I could have just polishing the carburettors and the copper fuel pipes etc. I should start by cleaning up the top radiator hose and polishing the hose clamps. The air filters are removed for part of my "cold starting" procedure........

OK! OK!  the Rapier was never intended as Concours (Show) car !!!!    This car was built to be driven, NOT to be just looked at.

Oh Yes! I cannot remember when I last wore "shorts". Certainly not days such as that shown below ......

However you may note that we had the hood safely stowed away!

image.jpeg.edebc9d809f54bf13caf390229db6f3e.jpeg

image.jpeg.07373f42c59c57723de10851e290f082.jpegimage.jpeg.42e2e46793685d56dca3719078382d45.jpeg

I know that you have probably seen all these photographs before, BUT even so a picture is worth a thousand words. I hope that you agree.

Bj.

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)

Now I have this major distraction. The really big question is, as I face my 86th Birthday in just a few weeks time, am I totally mad even thinking about starting this new project.

No doubt question 1 in many of your "think tanks" is, what is it and why did I buy it. To answer the first part is easy.

It is a 1922 Morris Cowley, a replica of a Raworth Special. 

OK! I can hear you all asking, what on earth is a Raworth Special.

The easy part is that none of the original six Raworth Specials produced in 1922 as a factory entry in the London to Lands End trials for that year have survived.  OK!  But there is this one Morris Cowley rebuilt in the likeness of a Raworth Special. The aluminium over a timber frame body is an excellent copy of the original. At this stage little or nothing has been done with the mechanicals.

I have just yesterday sent off two gearboxes in the hope of getting one useable 'box back in exchange for a pile of "Dollars".

I have bought a hide in Dark Burgundy to be used in re-upholstering the two bucket seats. I also have on order some matching burgundy "Car-carpet" to cover the "out-side" seat-backs and the floor. Ultimately I will arrange a Black canvas Toneau-cover. All this before actually getting the motor to the point where it will run? 

OK, It has been running recently and is reported as requiring some very basic "sorting" before it will run again. Something to put on the "to-do" list.  There are all sorts of minor jobs to be done, enough to "keep me off the streets".

Don't go away there is much to keep both me and you occupied for weeks if not months to come!

The BIG Question is at age 86 do I really need to be embarking on what will still be a major job. Who knows? I am just not prepared to sit around watching the clock go around!

Bernie j.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. The hides sound beautiful and will look great with the bare aluminum body works.

Hope the engine sorting is little more than a tune up and maintenance issues. Surprised that you are not contemplating dropping another preselector gearbox into the Morris, just for the h3ck of it😃

please continue to keep us posted.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, DrData said:

Sounds like you are off to a great start. The hides sound beautiful and will look great with the bare aluminum body works.

Hope the engine sorting is little more than a tune up and maintenance issues. Surprised that you are not contemplating dropping another preselector gearbox into the Morris, just for the h3ck of it😃

please continue to keep us posted.

Cheers!

Hello DrD,

I am currently covering the inside trim panels with matching "Burgundy" Vinyl.

I am lucky on that I could buy some vinyl "Leather cloth" that matches the hide almost perfectly. 

Once they are reinstalled it  will be difficult to see the difference.

I still have to decide/find a "motor trimmer/upholsterer to do the seats. I did talk to one man but his quote was  frightening.

I may still have to go back to him if I cannot find an alternative.

I will need to buy some (heavy) 5 ply board and cut out a pair of new seat bases and some plastic foam for the seat cushions.

Bj.

Some hour or two later I have now bought the timber etc to cut out the seat bases so that is one step forward.

I now have to wait until I receive the (Dark red) carpet that is said to be coming from America (USA). It will be interesting to see exactly what it is and how good the match. This to go on the outside back of the seats and the floor, etc.

There is always some uncertainty when buying "on line".

As this Morris is almost certainly my last "restoration", I want it to be better than just OK. I still have to buy some paint colour matched to the trim.DSCN7911.jpg.4e9a5089516b104173059eec31da8b9d.jpg

I was forgetting, as you have not yet seen the 
"Morris". Here are some photos of it. It is based on the (6) "works" London to Lands End Trial cars The curious gear/drive

at the inside of the left front hub is actually the speedo drive,

very vintage!DSCN7900.jpg.0651dea8761db9b475e11b05941d2fd2.jpgDSCN7905.jpg.f2c2613ba3ccec2c4797bc0ae622f931.jpgDSCN7906.jpg.0eb804f1a67f80d8587ade2dcd6d5d05.jpgDSCN7908.jpg.7c857a4dec61e9273065b8d3c55c5a4a.jpg

The gear driven (Front wheel)speedo drive was an interesting optional extra at a time when many cars had little or no instrumentation other than some sort of indication that there was oil pressure. Very often just  a "Button".  Instruments had little or no meaning to many early "motorists". The were considered an expensive addition over and above an ignition switch and a tap to turn off the fuel supply when the car was not in use.

Bj.

Work on the Morris has been put on hold. My wife, Helen has been in hospital for some weeks. She has now undergone Open Heart Surgery and is recovering well. Hopefully she will be allowed to return home later this week.  Even then she will require some careful nursing. My own schedule has become chaotic, with daily hospital visits taking precedent. Even once she is able to return home any work in the garage will be severely limited.  Not that I am complaining, I will be just so very relived and pleased to see her at home and returning to her usual good health.

Bj.

Best wishes for Helen’s speedy and complete recovery. I have several friends who have had valve replacement surgery and all are hale and hearty and loving a full life. Modern thoracic surgery is quite amazing. Again, I hope all goes well and your cooking will not be detrimental to her recovery 😉

Cheers

• Like 1

Today is Sunday so very little activity, I need to collect all the various components for the two "Morris" seats together so that I can take them off to a near-by upholsterer to have the new hide used to re-upholster them.

Meanwhile I have to repaint all the exposed wood in the interior a matching "deep-red" Burgundy or perhaps Claret, depending on your individual taste ?

But typically I am rushing ahead, I must wait for some (special) carpet that I am told is comming from the USA. This will be used for the "outside back" of the seats as well as the floor.

Bj. 

• Like 1

Collecting all the components is more than I've accomplished this Sunday. I was planning on yard work right up to the moment I stepped outside, but it was such a nice warm fall day that I gassed up my little roadster and took it out for what might be the last top down drive of the year. 

Meanwhile I am still waiting for the carpet to arrive before I take the seats to be re-upholstered. This (carpet) is required to go on the outside of the seat-backs in addition to the floor. My next task is to take the hand brake lever off the gear-box top so that it and the gear lever can be cleaned up prior to going to be chrome-plated.

Today it has all been happening, the Carpet has arrived and I was able to take the seat bases, the hide, carpet and matching vinyl fabric to the "trimmer". Over the next two or three weeks he should transform the seats ready to go into the Raworth Special (Replica) There should be enough carpet to cover the floor. It is starting to "come together".

Bj.

• Like 1

There has been a minor problem, We have two or three days of heavy rain, my workshop-garage has had more than its share. It may now take a day or two to dry out. at least my work bench is now clean and tidy.  The Morris was not effected. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing your trimmer’s work. I need to find one in our neck of the woods to redo the interior of my wife’s Datsun 280zx.

we could certainly use some of your rain here in Northen California. We have been in “extreme” drought conditions for several years..

• 2 weeks later...

Back to my current project and I now have collected the Morris seats. They are upholstered with genuine (Spanish) hide with matching carpet on the outside backs.  This is my standard finish. They were done by a new (to me) Upholsterer based about a 20 minute drive from home. I still have to look at the alternatives for attaching them to the Morris floor, First I need to have a tidy-up inside the car and cut the carpet to fit the floor.

So far I am very happy with the job done on the seats and the colour match with the wheels, the only  other colour on the car.

DSCN7923.jpg.5457df76263f055bdf41862894468de0.jpg

image.jpeg.7b714d5e5a00e6bad5b3a32cd7c447de.jpeg

DSCN7922.jpg.fa553424bb4b1e60aebbc8ce25a884fd.jpg

• Like 2

Golly Digger

Where did you learn to be such a slave driver,

There is just one of me and I cannot work on the car all day every day!

For the first time in more than a month I actually got my lawn mower out and cut the grass this afternoon.

Fortunately with the help of some "starting fluid" It "fired-up" first try. 

Bj.

Stunning seats. They will look fantastic in the Morris.

I got rid of the lawnmower about 15 years ago, after most of a lifetime spent pushing one around various gardens. Everything is now drought resistant, native plants and re y led ground cover.

Now a couple of days later and I really need to get out in my garage and concentrate on getting the trim installed into "the Morris". Perhaps I really should call it as it is...........

"The Raworth Replica". that is what it is and what makes it unique?

Bj.

I will leave it up to you to look up exactly what a "Raworth Special" was. 
Perhaps all "MG" enthusiasts need to adjust their thinking...........

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:30 PM, Rapier said:

Thank you Digger,

I had not thought that 86 was such a big deal.

Bj

You're still taking on new projects and working under cars, maybe not too big a deal for you, but I'm 68 and to me it's inspirational. 

Sort of like the way you used old tins on the wall to keep things handy. I had only been using mine to keep things clean when not in use, but with just a small touch of inspiration I now use them to keep things handy like bags for the dust bin and clean rags in several locations.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

It would be great just to have the space to put everything away. Winter is having one last (we hope lash out with cold winds and rain keeping us indoors. I did have a walk through the garage and made a mental note of things that obviously need to be done. I did spend half an hour working on the trim around the top of the body. Still more to be done but every little bit counts. Perhaps next week will see me finishing (the main part of) the interior trim. I have spent some time researching the "Raworth" connection with the car.

I did also spend some time up on the roof of the garage cleaning leaves out of the gutters. Hopefully this will prevent another flood.   I am told that 86 year old people should not be climbing up onto roofs. My answer is, if I do not do it, there is no one else who will.

Last time I paid a "handy man" to do it.  I spent more time cleaning up the mess he created. It also seemed that he mamaged to tramp on every plant in Helen's vegetable patch.

Bj.

20 hours ago, Rapier said:

Winter is having one last (we hope lash out with cold winds and rain keeping us indoors.

Winter is already here this year with 3" of snow today, 3" more predicted for tomorrow with -12.8 c  for Thursday night low and a Friday predicted high of -11.1 c, so enjoy your balmy weather.

Good Morning, From the attached you can see that here in the south eastern corner of Australia, we really have very little to complain about, considering this is a week of our typical Winter weather!  Our thermometers only very rarely go down to zero or below. Single figures and we are all rushing about looking for warmer clothing to put on.
Below is this weeks weather forecast for Melbourne, the capital city for the state of Victoria.
Wed
Showers
13°
10°
Thu
Partly cloudy
16°
7°
Fri
Mostly sunny
22°
13°
Sat
Scattered showers
22°
12°
Sun
Showers
17°
9°
Mon
Scattered thunderstorms
13°
8°
Tue
Mostly cloudy
16°
11°
Wed
Mostly cloudy
18°
11°

Three wet days in a row and we are all going into panic about possible flooding of low lying country. either that or the possibility of snow in the mountains.

Another week gone by and I am still trying to gather up enough enthusiasm to finish off the Interior trim in the Morris.

I have said that I really need to finish this one if only to bolster my self esteem.

Now I am waiting for the new close-ratio gears to be installed into the gearbox. Before I can think about re assembly of that, I need to sort out what is missing from the clutch. Some sort of service manual would be handy. 

Bj.

Meanwhile The Morris or perhaps to describe it even more accurately The Daworth Special (Replica) is slowly progressing, It has missed out the last two or three days while I have been making some minor adjustments to the gear change in the 1934 Lagonda Rapier.  This has an ENV 75 Preselect Gear box. Hopefully it is all OK again. The one good thing is that I could make these adjustments without completely dismantling the gear box. I did not even remove it from the car. Most adjustments can be made after removing the "Lid". This "lid" actually incorporates the "Remote Control" gear lever/

• Like 1