Mystery Tool

Jim Bollman

Found this tool in the bottom of one of my Dad's toolboxes with some hole saws and metal punches. Should have put a ruler in for reference but it is 3 1/4 inches top to bottom. The bottom is solid and is part of the shaft, all one piece. The extra pieces appear to all be the same with a metal piece and two plastic pieces. the pieces on the shaft can be removed by taking off the cross pieces.

Any idea what it is? 

MysteryTool-2.jpeg

MysteryTool-1.jpeg

It is the right shape for repairing faucet seats but there is no cutter or abrasive to actual doing any seat repair unless something is missing.

Dunno when foam boxes came into use - probably no earlier than 50-60s, so that would date the tool somewhat.  There's a place for a rectangular piece that apparently is missing.  Is it made to be struck with a hammer on the cross-piece end?  If so, the removable pieces on the shaft might be to adjust the length of the stroke and the spring may be a sort of shock absorber.  There is a nub on the tapered end so I'm thinking it's a punch of some sort, especially since it was found in a toolbox with other punches.  But it seems pretty elaborate for that purpose.  Maybe for making countersinks in sheet metal?

• Like 1

Looking at the tool again today I think the metal discs with the plastic are inserted with the tool but don't understand the spring and spacers on the rod. Perhaps they are inserts for a specific faucet. 

It doesn't look like it is suppose to be struck. the main part is aluminum so you wouldn't hit it very hard.

I said it was in a box with punches but they were the Greeley type punches that cut holes in sheet metal by drilling a hole and putting half on each side and tightening till the cutter shears a hole.

Oh well I put it back where I found it, doesn't take up much room maybe it will come in handy someday. 🙂