Who can help me with a legal copy of the American Title?

Bruno from Belgium

Good morning everyone,
My name is Bruno from Belgium in Europe, and I Am here for the first time with a question relating to my recently purchased 1911 Maxwell AB Runabout.

My 1911 Runabout Maxwell AB was shipped to Belgium in Europe in the 1980s,

Only an invoice was made and passed on by the seller to the previous owner,

The import duties have been paid in full, the official document still exists.

A title was not included or has been lost.

I am still having a problem registering my 1911 Runabout Maxwell AB in Belgium,

they ask for some kind of birth certificate, or an official legal copy of the american title, and I don't know who can get it to me,

The engine number and body number are still the same.

The number is AB14480.

Photos are available.

Because the brand no longer exists, I can no longer knock on the manufacturer's door.

Copies from historical books or catalogs are not accepted here to determine the correct year of birth, nor are internet references accepted.

Good morning everyone,
My name is Bruno from Belgium in Europe, and I am here for the first time with a question relating to my recently purchased 1911 Maxwell AB Runabout.

My 1911 Runabout Maxwell AB was shipped to Belgium in Europe in the 1980s,

Only an invoice was made and passed on by the seller to the previous owner,

The import duties have been paid in full, the official document still exists.

A title was not included or has been lost.

I am still having a problem registering my 1911 Runabout Maxwell AB in Belgium,

they ask for some kind of birth certificate, or an official legal copy of the american title, and i don't know who can get it to me,

The engine number and body number are still the same.

The number is AB14480.

Photos are available.

Because the brand no longer exists, I can no longer knock on the manufacturer's door.

Copies from historical books or catalogs are not accepted here to determine the correct year of birth, nor are internet references accepted.

Who can help me with a legal copy of the American Title?

The license plate pictured on the Maxwell is for show only

With best regards,

Bruno
bruno.costers@telenet.be

1911 Maxwell AB_2021-07-07_09.JPG

1911 Maxwell AB_2021-07-07_11.JPG

L1520428.JPG

2021 12 05 I.JPG

Edited by Bruno from Belgium
New e-mail address (see edit history)

The only way that you would be able to get a copy of the American title would be to find the owner from 1980 have them issuing a duplicate, sign it over to you and send it. Considering that was 40 years ago I think the chances of success are slim. United States each state has different rules for titling and some are more onerous than others. I’m not familiar with Belgium at all of course. But many states here or at least some have a way issuing a bonded title that last for three years for converting to clean title. Perhaps there is some similar mechanism in Belgium?

Hopefully there is a mechanism in Belgium law to allow for a bonded title similar to here in the US. If not, the only two possibilities that I can think of would be to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in the particular US State where the car was last registered.  While unlikely, they might still have records on the car. You would need to know which state the car was located in to begin that search.  A second option would be to contact any Maxwell specific car clubs (if any exist) to see if the club has records of who the prior owner of the car was. If so, and if that person is still alive, they may be able to help you obtain a duplicate title to the vehicle. Both of these alternatives are a long shot. 

In the US, "titles" are regulated by the states, so there are 50 different sets of regulations and records. Some states title all cars, others not so much... In NY State for instance, every car for the road needs a registration, which gets you the plate... And "Titles" of ownership are only issued for cars from 1974 and newer. Ownership of older cars is by "transferable registration". There are a web sites showing the regs for each state. 

So, that still doesn't solve your problem. Somehow you need an authority that will issue a title for a car without one. 

The numbers show your car is clearly an AB, which is a 1911 model year car. But there's no manufacturer records to prove it. In some states, the DMV or police would look at the numbers on the car to verify, check national databases for duplicates, and and then issue a title or registration. But they would likely want to see the car. Another state might work from a tracing of the serial number, or simply filed paperwork, which could then be transferred to you. 

This (non official) site does a good job of summarizing regulations.

https://www.dmv.org/

Also, consider joining the Maxwell Brisco group at https://groups.io/g/MaxwellBriscoeOwners/ for technical and historical assistance. 

Roger

Edited by Roger Garnett (see edit history)