1940 Buick Special starting issues

M. Derr

Fuel - Air - Spark:

I'm having a terrible time getting it started. I've rebuilt the carburetor and the fuel pump as well as having put in fresh gas. I can get it running but only with the amount of fuel I'm priming directly into the carb bowl, about 3 - 4 seconds worth, but it will run smoothly. I think I'm getting fuel from the tank to the pump, but I'm definitely not getting it from the pump to the carb.

Shy of pulling the fuel pump (again) and sending it for professional refurb, I'm not really sure what else I can do. I should mention that earlier this week when I pulled it I blew air through all the lines, thinking that perhaps I had some sort of obstruction, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It hasn't run since roughly 2015/2016, and it's been hard starting for as long as I've had it, going all the way back to 2010. I could dearly use some help. The carb is a WD0 440S, but I don't believe that's the problem. Honestly, I'm open to a more experienced person coming over if they're in the East Valley of Phoenix (Chandler).

17 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Try easy stuff first... ; remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine to see if you get fuel.

That would be a negative ghost rider. Definitely not getting fuel from the pump into the carb.

If there is a filter BETWEEN the pump and carb, remove same and try.  Perhaps picture of the carb area?   Unhook the pump outlet line and crank to see if the pump is pumping.  Replace the flexible line from the frame to the pump.  Are you SURE the pump is not sucking air due to a bad line from the tank to pump.  Hook a tank [boat?] to the suction of the pump. 

Check back.  [ plagiarized from Willie].

Ben

1. Remove line at fuel pump and blow back through line with cap off tank. Should blow bubbles. If line is plugged or has a hole this will help find it. 

2. if you can,  try another source to the pump as has already been mentioned. 

3. if no go, try a line direct to the carb from a gravity feed such as a tank from a small engine. 

I'm betting on the first one