Engine noise

RiggerParish

Hello gang,

I've been driving around all year with zero issues, just with what I thought was a typical power steering whine. I found the time to investigate with a stethoscope and then by removing the drive belt. With the belt off, the noise is still there. When I place the stethoscope just behind the balancer on the block, that is where the noise seems to be emanating from. Any mechanically inclined members know what is making this buzzing noise?

Could it be the harmonic balancer itself or something more sinister inside?

Thanks all,

RP

It doesn't sound unusual to me, but hard to gauge the actual volume without electronic capture. The chain damper rides against the back of a segmented chain, the chain runs over sprockets and the oil pump is a gear within a gear type, a gerotor. All would likely produce some sound and while it sounds familiar, I cannot judge what it might be. How many miles?? 

Interesting. You are right, 2seater. With the volume it is hard to tell. Its at its loudest when I start the car from cold and it much quieter when warmed up after a drive.

I have a receipt from the previous owner for a new instrument panel so I cannot be sure about the mileage. I would guess that it is over 100k based on its appearance. 

The engine doesn't sound unusual to me either, but I would put on a new belt just 'cause.  Also, the IPC only displays mileage, not store it.  The vehicle's BCM EEPROM stores mileage along with you car's VIN number.  

• Like 1