1938 Packard Super Eight Derham Limo - Custom-bodied 1 of 1

M-mman!  Thank you for doing all the research on the car!  Much appreciated...  The documented history and stories about the car will make it much more appealing for some future owner or restorer to perform a more accurate or sympathetic restoration.  I'm sure many people would love to know a small percentage of the history of their Classic or classic vehicles and this car has a treasure trove of documentation.  Thanks again!  Greg

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 12:07 PM, Matt Harwood said:

If the guys who pine for a big, plush, American 70's luxo-sedan had the money to design their own car in the '30s, this is what they would have done. "The old style was better, modern cars are terrible."

Agreed!  Just goes to show money and Good Taste don't necessarily go hand in hand.                   IMO!

Ben

On 12/28/2021 at 6:47 PM, m-mman said:

My suggestion for anyone who would like to learn more about this car DO go the the CCCA museum website and look up the file on this car. 

The letters and receipts between Mrs. Audenreid and Derham can be viewed at the link below:

https://cccamuseum.org/Explore/Archives/Archive-Viewer.aspx   Scroll through the viewer and select the Derham option at the top. Then scroll down and select 1938 Packard. The documentation of the car includes 42 pages and is listed under 1938 Packard (Derham),

Something like 40 pages from Derham's files. I read it last night. The notes and tales paint the picture of a professional builder struggling to please a wealthy patron. I imagine they tore their hair out BUT it was a huge commission in the middle of rough times. 

It was painted in the official "Audenreid colors"  The bumpers and trim were painted black. The Comorant was removed after delivery (guess she didnt like it) The black steering was ordered from Packard and swapped for the white one after delivery. 

It was delivered with whitewalls and white running boards. 

She paid extra for factory defrosters to be installed which Mr Derham said: "This is a good idea for extra safety"

The fenders were removed and adapted from her "Packard town car"  (The trade in - no listing of what year IT was) There were TWO letters asking her to P-L-E-A-S-E  bring the (old) town car to the shop so that they could study and measure the (old car) fenders in preparation for attachment to the new car. "We promise to not keep your chauffer any longer than necessary"  She traded in two old cars on this one (one was the fender less Packard town car) 

Several letters about dealing with the titles "We will need the title to the Packard Town Car (trade in) It will be a white paper with a red border. You should have this in your files"

There was also an appointment for her to come to Derham so that she could try out and custom fit the back seat(!)  "Mrs Audenreid likes the seat a little vertical"

The bill of sale from the Packard dealer for the chassis and the payments from Mrs Audenreid. "Yes we will use your country address so that you can avoid the city tax" 

Whatever you think of the car, do read the file and you will at least have a better understanding of the car.

Read all of the letters in the archive and my question is what years are the two Packards that she traded in? That would explain why the car does not look like a '38 to me, as she insisted that the builder use the fenders from the car she was trading in to be mounted on her new car. When I looked at the archive, I passed right by the 1938 because the fenders do not look the same as the Derham car. I also noted that she wanted to use the old carriage lights that were on her town car and the inside door handles. No doubt this is 1 of 1, but IMO she did this car no favors with her selections. 

40 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

Read all of the letters in the archive and my question is what years are the two Packards that she traded in?

...astute question. I was wondering the same and interesting no one has commented. As far as I can see the last year (principally) Packard did a flat fender was 1917. There's a pic of a 1918 towncar by Fleetwood on-line with such but it was probably a left-over design as most '18s and later had rolled/convex fenders as we all have come to know. Thus one of her trades was possibly a '17 or earlier ?Twinsix. If true, that would be amazing that she was trading a 20-21+ year old car. Sure, city miles... but how easy was it to maintain such for so long? I tried to find a pic or reference from the Phil Historical society to no avail. I found she was on the board of the Phil Art Museum and also listed in a reference book on one of the historic mansions the city now owns overlooking the river past the museum (which was owned by a society group at the time).