2021 Holiday Motor Excursion

29 Chandler

Toady was the 65th running of the Holiday Motor Excursion in Southern California. This event was started in the 1950's by the Eastwood family going from their house in Pasadena to family and friends homes to share in the Christmas spirt and get an old car out to drive. As the years went on the event grew as more and more friends joined in on the annual tradition. The event is now sponsored by the Horseless Carriage Club of Southern California with the active support and guidance from the Eastwood children who grew up in in and around old cars. Today we annualy have hundreds of cars participating in the morning gathering and close to a hundred who join us on the tour. Most cars are pre 1933 as was stipulated by the Eastwood brothers (Doug and Warwick) years ago as the event started to grow in size. Here are a few pictures from today's event. Once again mother nature shined upon us and gave us some sunshine for the event. Southern CA has gotten so much needed rain the last few days, but today was special.

1B68DA86-FCA4-48EE-A5DD-959BA7125925.JPG

01E3FC33-15D7-4F9C-9B88-F2307B3B8F7D.JPG

3F9D6CEB-42A9-4CE7-93BC-EA27013E52F4.JPG

9D3C4DDF-FBCD-4C11-B547-DFB17E36E80C.JPG

9E8555F7-0CAA-4CB1-B994-F33C22EE49A7.JPG

A5CAFE14-6590-4E4F-817A-FEFA709D8811.JPG

B3C6C145-FEE1-44E1-AF84-292989EFFD38.JPG

D8919B35-BB61-4EFF-AC98-1EACFA6F2095.JPG

IMG_4027.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My first time at this event and my first tour with my 1929 Cadillac. 

An enjoyable and satisfying experience.

A noticeable lacking in pretentiousness when you get the cars off of the grass. 

• Like 2

Great pictures 29 Chandler! So much quality iron! We were living in the Pasadena area when the Excursion started....too bad my Dad didn't know about it....or we would have gone.

Did Logan and Harvey Kellen make it there this year with their red Peerless like they did in 2019? One of two known surviving 1915 Peerless cars in the world.

Edited by jeff_a
corrected a name (see edit history)

I wonder to myself each time I see or hear of an old car tour. How do the cars get to the starting point? and what happens at the end?

Do you guys trailer your cars to the beginning of the tour and I assume it is not a round trip so what do you do when you finish? Although my car is modern by these standards I would like to do something similar but a 5+ hr drive to the starting point is a deterrent with a car getting 10mpg.

Sorry this was meant to be in the touring thread, but I suppose it will work for this one as well.

Edited by TAKerry
wrong location (see edit history)

11 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Great pictures 29 Chandler! So much quality iron! We were living in the Pasadena area when the Excursion started....too bad my Dad didn't know about it....or we would have gone.

Did Mark and Harvey Kellen make it there this year with their red Peerless like they did in 2019?

I did not see the Peerless this year. With rain the two days prior some cars stayed home, though the day of the tour we had great weather.

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I wonder to myself each time I see or hear of an old car tour. How do the cars get to the starting point? and what happens at the end?

Do you guys trailer your cars to the beginning of the tour and I assume it is not a round trip so what do you do when you finish? Although my car is modern by these standards I would like to do something similar but a 5+ hr drive to the starting point is a deterrent with a car getting 10mpg.

Sorry this was meant to be in the touring thread, but I suppose it will work for this one as well.

There was plenty of trailer parking on one of the side streets just south of the park we started from. Many of us were able to drive to the start though leaving after the sunrise.

This tour is about 30 miles long and ends not far from where it starts so its an easy drive after lunch to the starting point.

For those who have never attended the SoCal HCCA Holiday Motor Excursion, it is an absolute "must attend" event for those into 1932 and earlier cars. It is really two shows in one-the 1932 and earlier cars that are allowed to go on the tour and the "other" cars that are not allowed to go but come to see the early cars and watch them leave.

I attended for years when I was a kid driving the car in my avatar. Now that I am no longer in SoCal, I still try to get out there every couple of years. There are a few YouTubes posted about the event, including the one posted below. As usual, this events attracts lots iron including Model Js, Ghosts, Popes, Pierces, Duryeas as well as lots of great Model Ts and As. What is also really great about this event is the amount of young people that attend as both drivers and passengers. For those who think the interest in early cars is dead, attending this event will change your mind.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 3