Zenith Updraft Twin

Otahuhu

Unless you have one of the 10 reproductions, that carburetor is not safe to run, the car WILL burn if it's the pot metal unit. Run a Stromberg UUR2.

Why would the metal used to cast this carb be any different than the millions of carbs made by Zenith in the same era, cause the car to burn? Unless you are talking about later having warping issues? Some do, some don't. If the top is warped over the fuel bowl, there are work arounds. One might be to use the UUR2 if it can be found.

Edinmass  I have sold 26 105dc zenith carb they are the 3 machined casting with venture The are on 5 or 6 Ruxton .stutz and one Lancia with my carb . Float level is from top of botton base to gas level is 3/4 in I have venture for 105d and the cross venture in the bottom. main jets drill to .051 for power stutzl6 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

Why would the metal used to cast this carb be any different than the millions of carbs made by Zenith in the same era, cause the car to burn? Unless you are talking about later having warping issues? Some do, some don't. If the top is warped over the fuel bowl, there are work arounds. One might be to use the UUR2 if it can be found.

Mark, my bad. I was off by one letter, and was only referring to the diecast units..........it seems multiple companies in late 1928 to mid 1930 were using a bad formula for their products. I would not be surprised that they were all sub contracted and made by the same injection mold company. Stromberg, Zenith, Stewart Warner, Delco, and a handful of others all suffer from issues with parts made on those dates. I will stand by that the 105DC’s are the ones that seem to suffer more than any of the others, and they are so bad I would never use one. Some of the UU-2’s with the early uppers are also as bad as the 105DC’s also. Simply put they are not worth the risk of burning your car down to the ground.....and they will burn. Carbking hasn’t serviced them for years.......with good reason.

as far as UU-2’s and UUR-2’s being found.....we have a dozen each of GOOD units available. Not cheap, but we guarantee our units. 

6F0A550E-286F-4224-85A6-3B3AD71DF792.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Edinmass  I working slowley  on 4 carb. My age and the 1930 4 door cov. it painted motor was on dino at george s  and a 1929 m30  weymann 4 door    sedan chassis done wood all good. motor ready to start Carb are all sold. Not for sale  i have sv5  105d  105dc   and in 1931 the venture on 105d? c was made longer with  the jet in the venture . I made some or the venture   Have printed botton base 3 d  less machineing ? some day/ 

Sorry to hear they are out of production. Unfortunately many projects that are still needed now and in the future won’t ever be done again due to economics......and lack of interest. I never got to see one of your units at George’s place unfortunately. I missed the Stutz event at Hilton Head, but did see you at the Hershey dinner.  Merry Christmas......Ed Minnie.

Thank you for reply on a 105D Zenith I need an idling adjusting needle valve seat number 80 in the list .Are then any parts available for these carburetor? (or rare as hens teeth)

Is there a list available for the jet sizes ,venture for this model used on a Stutz?

Regards

Len

• 2 weeks later...