clamshell headlights Repair

Pilk

I plan to start on the 65 soon. Is there any how to instructions on rebuilding the clamshell headlights? I have a small chunk out of the top passenger side clamshell so I’m guessing replacement is the best option. 

Not sure what you can do if you are missing a "chunk" from one of your Clamshells? My Clamshells are pretty pitted, but its very hard to find a nice one for less than $500...(the clamshells and cathedral mldgs are probably the toughest to find good oem, and most expensive pieces for the 65)

So i figured to try to make the best with what i have. I did alot if filing down of the pits, and the primed and painted. I decided to paint them the color of the car...we will see how it looks once the car is painted and all assembled. Didnt come great but i think they look better than they did...lots of work and lots of masking....would note that they did actually look better when primed on gray than with the color and clear...the gloss enhanced the pit marks....so if you go with the stock argent silver, and your pits arent too deep, you could probably get a pretty decent result  20210724_162502.jpg.20f7773a18d23109873dbcee7801e45d.jpg20210807_123744.jpg.92e79b519c5630f1b9376f2857c9853f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrownedRiv said:

The visors themselves can be replaced by removing (and replacing) the rivets that hold them on. Ive never done it but i heard its been done. Might be an option for you. 

That’s what I’m hoping to find. I’ve noticed a few pairs for $500 and a drivers side for $250. Maybe something will pop up that will be exactly what I need without having to purchase both sides. I’m starting the search for these hard to find parts before I start on the restoration.

Removing the rivets to disassemble them may not be nessessary, as you probably won't find a clamshell cover unattached from it's mechanism to purchase. However there is no shortage of clamshell assemblies available. Im sure every Riv vendor has a few on the shelf. Finding an affordable one w no pitting is the problem. Someone may chime in with an offer, if not I recommend contacting Gene from AB&G. In most cases Gene can offer varying degrees of quality to match the condition of your car, which has always been a great advantage to me, as my '65 is not show car quality. Of course if you're doing a restoration you might want to spring for as nice a pair as you can. (did you see that, Gene? I gave you two recommendations in one morning) Good luck, & keep us posted on your progress.   Drew

ps: nice job, Drowned, considering the before shot. You are definitely correct about the gloss paint accentuating the flaws. To me a matte or satin finish looks better. I find that matte black Krylon on the clams, on the unchromed grille surfaces, rocker panels, & rally wheel inserts make everything pop on my silver Riv. 

14 hours ago, Pilk said:

That’s what I’m hoping to find. I’ve noticed a few pairs for $500 and a drivers side for $250. Maybe something will pop up that will be exactly what I need without having to purchase both sides. I’m starting the search for these hard to find parts before I start on the restoration.

PM sent.

22 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Removing the rivets to disassemble them may not be nessessary, as you probably won't find a clamshell cover unattached from it's mechanism to purchase. However there is no shortage of clamshell assemblies available. Im sure every Riv vendor has a few on the shelf. Finding an affordable one w no pitting is the problem. Someone may chime in with an offer, if not I recommend contacting Gene from AB&G. In most cases Gene can offer varying degrees of quality to match the condition of your car, which has always been a great advantage to me, as my '65 is not show car quality. Of course if you're doing a restoration you might want to spring for as nice a pair as you can. (did you see that, Gene? I gave you two recommendations in one morning) Good luck, & keep us posted on your progress.   Drew

ps: nice job, Drowned, considering the before shot. You are definitely correct about the gloss paint accentuating the flaws. To me a matte or satin finish looks better. I find that matte black Krylon on the clams, on the unchromed grille surfaces, rocker panels, & rally wheel inserts make everything pop on my silver Riv. 

Thanks for thr nice words and suggestions.

👍

• Like 1