HOW TO ID AND SEARCH FOR A VINTAGE DX GAS PUMP?

Hemi Joel

Hi, this is a picture of my grandpa, Arvid Gunnarson, at the DX gas station that he owned in Annandale Minnesota right after world war II. I was thinking it would be cool to find a gas pump or two like these and have them on display in my shop. I am not up to speed on vintage gas pumps at all. Where do I start? How can I learn what these pumps are? I would think if I knew the make and model, that would be very helpful in searching. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks, Joel

grampa arvid gas pumps.jpg

That picture is fairly deceptive I think, due to the camouflage of the stripes, the contrast, and possibly some camera distortion. Some parts look extremely familiar to me, like the contour of the name plate below the main window, the shape of the window that says "Ethyl", and the area where the hose enters and the nozzle hangs up. I vote for the Wayne 70, specifically the version of the Wayne 70 with the sight glass at the top.

wayne70cities1_xxl.jpg

• Thanks 1

Because of the poor picture quality they are hard to identify, they could be several pumps. Might be Gilbert & Barker, Neptune 855 or Tokheim with missing globes. There were dozens of pump manufacturers and several were very similar.

• Like 1

It looks to me like VLOO nailed it!  I didn't know what brand he was pumping, but an old timer recently told me it was DX. But that sure looks like a Cities Service paint scheme. I think I'll check with the historical society for old pics of the location. Maybe I can see the sign. Thanks for all the help! 

cities service pump.jpg