Headliner colors

RivNut

In a previous post, there was a discussion about headliner colors. I have a 1965 Buick color-trim book that shows accent colors for each trim color. What I find interesting is that this book does not show white as a custom seat color option. Does anyone know if white was a mid-year addition to the color choices or is the book just not complete? Here are pictures of the choices for standard interiors, and custom cloth, and custom vinyl.

1965 standard vinyl

IMG_20211212_140958981.jpg.7e1dfa128fc12bb93f3b44a28bb36354.jpg

1965 cloth and vinyl (last line not in photo is headliner)

IMG_20211212_141039584.jpg.dfba552f14039bd9624a9f9ea563e9ea.jpg

1965 custom vinyl - this is where the white custom vinyl is missing.

IMG_20211212_141101810.jpg.b90fd2eef860848230ebd6f4a1043d40.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

In a previous post, there was a discussion about headliner colors. I have a 1965 Buick color-trim book that shows accent colors for each trim color. What I find interesting is that this book does not show white as a custom seat color option. Does anyone know if white was a mid-year addition to the color choices or is the book just not complete? Here are pictures of the choices for standard interiors, and custom cloth, and custom vinyl.

1965 standard vinyl

IMG_20211212_140958981.jpg.7e1dfa128fc12bb93f3b44a28bb36354.jpg

1965 cloth and vinyl (last line not in photo is headliner)

IMG_20211212_141039584.jpg.dfba552f14039bd9624a9f9ea563e9ea.jpg

1965 custom vinyl - this is where the white custom vinyl is missing.

IMG_20211212_141101810.jpg.b90fd2eef860848230ebd6f4a1043d40.jpg

I've referred to this many times...maybe a search of the forum will net results

Tom

Tom,

Do you or does the ROA library have color and trim books for 1963 & 1964?  A guy down the street just acquired a 63 and a 63 parts car.  In the back seat of the parts car - burgundy w/ white interior - was an unopened box with a brand new set of gray carpets.  He’s trying to figure out if the gray carpet is correct for those colors ( that would have been correct for 1965 but things do change.)

can you also give me and idea for the value of a fair 1963 hood - some rust in the nose. The one on his parts car is somewhat better than the the one on my 63 which was damaged in an engine fire.  

Thanks,

Ed

47 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Tom,

Do you or does the ROA library have color and trim books for 1963 & 1964?  A guy down the street just acquired a 63 and a 63 parts car.  In the back seat of the parts car - burgundy w/ white interior - was an unopened box with a brand new set of gray carpets.  He’s trying to figure out if the gray carpet is correct for those colors ( that would have been correct for 1965 but things do change.)

can you also give me and idea for the value of a fair 1963 hood - some rust in the nose. The one on his parts car is somewhat better than the the one on my 63 which was damaged in an engine fire.  

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

The carpets for both a `63 and `64 with white interior would be black. In `65, Buick switched to a dark charcoal accent color.

Generally folks are looking for a hood due to rust in the nose or in the front edge overall...so the subject hood has the same issue most folks are trying to rise above. In terms of value, that answer is up to you and what you think is fair or are willing to pay.

Tom

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Tom,

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

Is it possible the carpets are silver? In 1963 the Silver Leather and Silver Vinyl interiors both came with silver carpet. 

Bill

We opened the end of the box to confirm that the color of the carpet was the same as printed on the box - gray.  In the 1965 standard colors, gray carpet came with trim color 604 - white. The upper instrument panel, steering wheel are also listed as gray.  That’s why I’m asking if you have a 1963 color - trim book to see if that might have stayed the same throughout the three years of the first generation Riviera.

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

We opened the end of the box to confirm that the color of the carpet was the same as printed on the box - gray.  In the 1965 standard colors, gray carpet came with trim color 604 - white. The upper instrument panel, steering wheel are also listed as gray.  That’s why I’m asking if you have a 1963 color - trim book to see if that might have stayed the same throughout the three years of the first generation Riviera.

Ed,

I used my 1963 Color-Trim book. No gray listed. Silver carpet, steering wheel and headliner are the only things listed remotely close to gray in color for 1963.

Bill

4 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Ed,

I used my 1963 Color-Trim book. No gray listed. Silver carpet, steering wheel and headliner are the only things listed remotely close to gray in color for 1963.

Bill

Thanks,  any chance of posting some pictures like I did?  I’m curious as much as anything as to how things were coordinated for 63.

Ed

• 2 months later...

It's me with another question about the interior of a 1963 Riviera.  My neighbor, Frank, who is restoring a 1963 that someone has done a complete color change on - Spruce Green to White paint, and Saddle Leather to an off white vinyl - is trying to get his car back to the original color schemes  He just asked me a question for which neither I nor the chart in the previous post has an answer.  Originally his car had the code 798 Saddle Leather interior.  The chart does not show it but what color would the package tray be?  Same as the seats or same as the dash?  Are the door panels and rear arm rests the same color as the seats?  Thanks in advance.  Ed