Former AMC headquarters on Plymouth Road to be demolished in 2022; Detroit mayor promises same fate for the Packard Plant

Evan S.

I lived  in Detroit from 1990 to 2000 and as I watched this city decline I remember watching Flint change directions and re organize. When a city that was once over one million in population continues to shrink (losing tax base) and occupied property that still must be maintained. Roads must be maintained and street lights must be maintained in between the areas that are occupied that the areas that are. Flint started to shrink it's footprint in the 90's and create green spaces where people no longer lived.  You just can't save everything. 

In closing I remember taking a train trip from Detroit to Los Angeles in 1981 as a honeymoon trip. Both of these cities had beautiful train stations and guess which one was the most beautiful. Detroit. Ten years later the train station was stripped and the city was using mobile homes as ticket offices. Sad state of affairs.  Some things should have been saved, but you can't save everything. 

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I still live in the Detroit area.   The Packard plant is just a modified heap of rubble.  Mother nature has been working on it since the late 1950's and the freeze/thaw cycle of winter has dismantled the plant.  It is really a dangerous place to be near.  Everything of value has been stripped from the building and "the Packard bridge" just fell down a couple of years ago. Absolutely not worth saving.

Detroit was a thriving city in the 50's with a population close to 2 million.  Currently the population is under 700,000.  There are some good things coming from the city, but because of the politics and how deep a ditch the city is in, it is a steep climb up.  Just IMO.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 3:34 PM, GregLaR said:

Vandalism seems to be the only entertainment left in Detroit.

When the citizens have all given up and turned a once thriving metropolis into an urban war zone, how can a city like this ever recover?

There's nothing wrong with the real estate there, the problem is the inhabitants.

Interesting comments and perspective from GregLaR of Palm SPrings, CA.

Based on your comments, I sought out the comparable crime statistics for Palm Springs, CA and Detroit, MI.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that Palm Springs enjoys vandalism crimes at a rate of 17.85 crimes per 1000 residents, more that 3X the rate of comparable crimes in Detroit.

But wait, there's more...

Check out the following 2021 crime statistics for Palm Springs and Detroit.

Yes, Detroit - and the rest of us in Michigan - have our challenges.

Perhaps a visit to our area might temper your view.

image.png.145a9a275a345fb8afbbbe834a2fa420.png

image.png.fa9a7d25f2f7672cf00b4ba0877092da.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2021 at 2:58 AM, 1935Packard said:

I'm a Packard nut, but I personally don't see how the existence of the former plant matters.  If you want a physical place to go to revel in all things Packard, you can go to the proving grounds or the Packard museums.  But at least to me, it's the cars that matter: Wherever a Packard car is, that's the place to be.  :)

It isn't too long ago that the Packard Proving Grounds were also in a state of neglect and deterioration and facing demolition to make way for yet another subdivision.  The successful preservation of that site gives me hope that these and other historically significant automotive landmarks can be similarly saved or preserved in some way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Interesting comments and perspective from GregLaR of Palm SPrings, CA.

Based on your comments, I sought out the comparable crime statistics for Palm Springs, CA and Detroit, MI.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that Palm Springs enjoys vandalism crimes at a rate of 17.85 crimes per 1000 residents, more that 3X the rate of comparable crimes in Detroit.

But wait, there's more...

Check out the following 2021 crime statistics for Palm Springs and Detroit.

Yes, Detroit - and the rest of us in Michigan - have our challenges.

Perhaps a visit to our area might temper your view.

image.png.145a9a275a345fb8afbbbe834a2fa420.png

image.png.fa9a7d25f2f7672cf00b4ba0877092da.png

Your point is taken and absolutely correct.   

Palm Springs' crime rate has escalated out of control and, much like the city council from the fictional Amity Island in the movie Jaws, our city plays down the negativity and keeps it out of the newspapers because that would be "bad for tourism".    However I can pinpoint the exact cause for the crime in our area.  In 2014 California voters approved Prop 47 which decriminalized virtually all drug related charges and many crimes that used to be felonies are now reduced to misdemeanors.  Unfortunately it has not gone as some had hoped.   I'm sure you've been following the rampant looting in the Bay Area.  Shoplifting under $1,000 is now considered a misdemeanor as are most other crimes, short of murder.  In just the last few years downtown Palm Springs'  homeless population has has exploded from less than 100 to over 3,000 and remember, this is a small city of less than 50,000 people.  And along with them has come the rampant drug use, vandalism and robberies.  We have found 5 dead bodies in our complex alone in the last 12 months, 3 more in the adjacent complex, all heroin overdoses.  The police are between a rock and a hard place without laws to arrest.   The complexion of my city has changed so drastically in just the last 18 months that we have decided to sell our bar/restaurant, our home and relocate to another state.  

Thank you for the kind offer to visit Detroit but I believe our state governments are far too similar for me to appreciate any change.

Cheers, Greg

jaws.jpg.69ce97fdfdbff0db5820007e687bf42a.jpg

4 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Palm Springs' crime rate has escalated out of control and, much like the city council from the fictional Amity Island in the movie Jaws, our city plays down the negativity and keeps it out of the newspapers because that would be "bad for tourism".  

Thank you for the kind offer to visit Detroit but I believe our state governments are far too similar for me to appreciate any change.

Cheers, Greg

I believe many of the crimes in Detroit are never reported, vs. crimes in Palm Springs are, which distorts those numbers.  And the smaller crimes that are reported in Detroit are most likely not acted upon, with the shortage of manpower there.  There are areas in Detroit police officers will not enter, especially at night.

Craig

5 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Palm Springs' crime rate has escalated out of control and, much like the city council from the fictional Amity Island in the movie Jaws, our city plays down the negativity and keeps it out of the newspapers because that would be "bad for tourism".    However I can pinpoint the exact cause for the crime in our area.  In 2014 California voters approved Prop 47 which decriminalized virtually all drug related charges and many crimes that used to be felonies are now reduced to misdemeanors.  Unfortunately it has not gone as some had hoped.   I'm sure you've been following the rampant looting in the Bay Area.  Shoplifting under $1,000 is now considered a misdemeanor as are most other crimes, short of murder.  In just the last few years downtown Palm Springs'  homeless population has has exploded from less than 100 to over 3,000 and remember, this is a small city of less than 50,000 people.  And along with them has come the rampant drug use, vandalism and robberies.  We have found 5 dead bodies in our complex alone in the last 12 months, 3 more in the adjacent complex, all heroin overdoses.  The police are between a rock and a hard place without laws to arrest.   The complexion of my city has changed so drastically in just the last 18 months that we have decided to sell our bar/restaurant, our home and relocate to another state.  

Cheers, Greg

jaws.jpg.69ce97fdfdbff0db5820007e687bf42a.jpg

Greg,

It's distressing to learn how your community is suffering from the lawlessness that's fostered by those ill-conceived changes. 

Seems that similar laws are being enacted almost everywhere. I don't understand how communities continue to enact similar legislative changes when the evidence of their failure is so obvious.

Good luck with your relocation plans. 

Joe

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

The Packard Plant. I just find it interesting that cars were made in a building like that. Many floors. And lots of columns in the way. It does not seem ideal for assembly line production.

Packard Plant owner switching gears from rehab to demolition

I believe it is called pillar & post design.  Very common factory design at the turn of the last century when factories were built in the cities where land was a premium and workers lived close to their work.

• Like 1

If you do not, or have not lived in the motor city, you might  get the impression that the whole town is one big dumpster fire. This is far from true. The renovation of the Fox theater is fabulous and this venue should rank right up there with any other art deco period theater across the nation. I loved the old Tiger Stadium but sometimes you have to move on and the new Tiger Stadium is right sized and within walking distance to the Hard Rock Cafe. If you have not been to Greek Town and had a hot dog there you have not lived. Many people would drool at the homes in Sherwood Forest. Thanks to Dave Bing and Roger Penske, Ford family, Little Ceasars Pizza and Dominos Pizza these business are constantly giving back to the city and making a really great city, still great. Any hockey fans that haven't seen a Red Wings game in hockeytown has not lived. I forgot to mention for all you car guys, the thrill of a lifetime is the Woodward Dream Cruise. I highly recommend it.  Detroit Fan.

Edited by kingrudy
Forgot something (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I live near Detroit and make it a point to skip Woodward Cruise - mostly rods and late model Corvettes.  Quantity over quality.  The Concours d'Elegance of America is a great show in the area.

My view of the city is in-between.  It has definitely improved, but is still a rather unattractive city compared to others of similar size.  I don't hesitate to go do things there, but a great deal of it is still pretty run down.